Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
dIYHell

Share |

To seal or not to seal tops of IPE

I was planning on using Mesmers to seal both the ends and tops of my IPE deck boards. Just heard from someone who has done alot of installations and says I should only seal the cut ends and the sealing the tops is a bad idea because the seal won't absorb and you''ll get weird staining patters that will require sanding the whole deck down. I heard of this from others as well. anyone have experience with this.

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #2

Cut ends of ipe MUST be sealed with anchorseal. Otherwise they'll end up checking at the ends (cracking) due to moisture loss. Anchorseal is available from most deck suppliers. Stain/sealer is not an appropriate product for end grain sealing.'

I've had great luck with Penofin on ipe. Works great. Fact is you can seal the ends and not do anything to the rest of the boards and they'll last decades. They'll just weather down to a silver-gray color.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
dIYHell

heard about anchor seal. Did you use Penefin hardwood transparent hardwood on IPE, I would much rather use a finish to preserve the darker color instead of letting it go grey
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #4

Yeah, I've just used the transparent Penofin (natural?) as opposed to a tinted version. It gives it a nice rich wet look.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote