Screws Vs Nails In Interior Framing Project - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Screws vs Nails in Interior framing project

Hello, I'm constructing a doorway and partition for my fridge - I'm moving it from the kitchen and into the bedroom through the ajoining wall. For the framing portions of this projects, I was intending to use 3" screws for several reasons:

1) I'll be working in some tight spaces where hammering will be difficult.
2) I expect a goof or two along the way and would like to be able to unscrew the mistake and make whatever corrections are needed.
3) placing new studs in existing walls can be difficult when pounding it with a hammer - I'm working solo on most stages of this project.

But I've read on other forums and other places on the internet that screws are not up to code for framing construction - they made it sound like absolutly no screws are to be used - only nails.

I know there is a wide variety of screws out there. I'm considering using 3" DeckMate screws since they have the square drive head that reportedly won't strip. The sign at home depot said they are suitable for outdoor construcion. Shouldn't they be suitable for interior construction? Do you agree?

What's the advantage and disadvantage of screws and ditto for nails? Will building inspectors really give you grief for using screws instead of nails?

Thanks!

Alex

Advertisement

alexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Screws have very low shear strength which is why they are not recommended for structural framing, however, it doesn't sound like you're doing any structural stuff. If the wall you are removing/moving is not weight bearing then go ahead and use what you want IMO.

Advertisement

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Generally speaking, screws are not used in framing due to shear, as bonus said. However, we use GRK fasteners that are superior to any I have seen, and we now use them exclusively when setting trusses since we can screw up through the double plate into the truss. They are torx head, gold in collor, and you should be able to find them. The real beauty of them is you can drive and remove them many times..re-usable...
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote