Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Electrician

Share |

Screws or Nails

In doing research on building my deck, all the books have said to use nails to install the joist hangers and such. Do you need to use nails or can you use screws on joist hangers and such hardware.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
In a little over my head

Screws or Nails

I think there are special screws that are allowed by code. But the nails are probably stronger in shear than screws. The design of metal connectors puts most of the fasteners in shear, rather than tension (where a screw would have an advantage.)

But there are some locations where a screw would be a lot easier to install than a nail.

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Electrician

Screws or Nails

Makes sense to why you would use nails, guess my arm will get a work out when I build this deck. I was hoping to do it all with screws for I could use my impact.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

Screws or Nails

The packaging for the Simpson connectors state exactly what you can use . In some cases, only nails. In others, either nails or screws. It also says specifically what type of nail/screw to use; in the case of screws, they specify Simpson screws that are usually sold right by the connectors (how convenient :-)
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Screws or Nails

You'll spend a lot more on the screws that are rated for use in hangers, better off to buy a palm nailer and bulk nails.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
Alan (04-25-2012), AtlanticWBConst. (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Screws or Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
You'll spend a lot more on the screws that are rated for use in hangers, better off to buy a palm nailer and bulk nails.

or rent a connector plate nailer such as the bostich strapshot nailer. it sinks the nail in one pull of the trigger as opposed to the ungodly raquet of a palm nailer
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #7

Screws or Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
or rent a connector plate nailer such as the bostich strapshot nailer. it sinks the nail in one pull of the trigger as opposed to the ungodly raquet of a palm nailer
Rent it once for 40-50 bucks or own a palm nailer for life for the same price
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Screws or Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
Rent it once for 40-50 bucks or own a palm nailer for life for the same price
I bought my dewalt palm nailer online for 25 bucks.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #9

Screws or Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren
In doing research on building my deck, all the books have said to use nails to install the joist hangers and such. Do you need to use nails or can you use screws on joist hangers and such hardware.
Nails are better to use because wen screws go under pressure the will snap whereas nails will just bend and regardless if the Simpson strong ties say u can use specific screws me personally would go with nail better holding power unless ur doing a floor then I would use both
ninjahero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Screws or Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
Those are what we have (in addition to palm nailers), although my lead framer (50 years old and framing his entire life), just cannot get the hang of using the strapshot guns.
He's handed me a gun 2x saying it was broken, and when I tested it, there was nothing wrong.

For some reason, (he and another experienced framer on the crew) cannot seem to get the rythm of how it works (the safety tip) and they keep going back to using the palm nailer, with loose nails.

BTW - its probably a better deal now a days, to hunt around for a sale on a palm nailer. A few days rental would likely pay for ownership of one, and they are handy for multiple applications.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
Civil Engineer

Screws or Nails

I have posted at least three times in the past two years defending the dignity of the screw against attacks against its shear manhood. I will not repeat my defense in this particular court, you can do a search. Suffice to say that the shear strength of ANY fastener is a function of the diameter (the root diameter in the case of a screw) and the strength of the metal. Use of a non-structurally rated screw in a structural application such as a hanger is going to get you in trouble every time, however as previously noted Simpson makes an entire line of structurally rated screws, and they work just fine. That said, I always use the nails when allowed, less expensive and install quicker.

Make sure that any fastener you use is hot dip galvanized if it is going to be used outdoors and in contact with PT lumber.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #12

Screws or Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I have posted at least three times in the past two years defending the dignity of the screw against attacks against its shear manhood. I will not repeat my defense in this particular court, you can do a search. Suffice to say that the shear strength of ANY fastener is a function of the diameter (the root diameter in the case of a screw) and the strength of the metal. Use of a non-structurally rated screw in a structural application such as a hanger is going to get you in trouble every time, however as previously noted Simpson makes an entire line of structurally rated screws, and they work just fine. That said, I always use the nails when allowed, less expensive and install quicker.

Make sure that any fastener you use is hot dip galvanized if it is going to be used outdoors and in contact with PT lumber.
Where is a homeowner likely to shop for his screws? HD, lowes, or other big box right? I've never seen structurally rated screws except for the simpson ones in any box store, yes you can purchase other structurally rated screws but in most HO's minds "A screw is a a screw" and they'll ask for help of the HD employees (and we all know how useless they are) and they'll hand them a box of drywall screws or gold screws and say "These are super strong they'll work fine" So while you are accurate that screws can be used, sometimes it's just better to keep it simple.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
AHH, SPANS!!!

Screws or Nails

My first deck job I used the simpson screws for every hanger / plate, metal attachment and for all wood to wood 20 penny galvanized hand drives
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

Screws or Nails

Your local building department may want nails (assuming you are getting a permit etc.). Mine did. I used galvanized nails for all structure and screws for the decking.

It says you are in Canada though, and Holmes seems to use screws for everything so it's probably allowed.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Screws or Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
.......and Holmes seems to use screws for everything.....

Everytime I see that name it makes me chuckle.....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote