Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
dIYHell

Share |

Screws for IPE decking

Im installing an IPE deck and planning on fastening from the top with Stainless steel screws. This will give the desired look as well I believe a more stable attachment.

Ive been planning on predrilling but some people have mentioned screws like SplitStop that supposedly you don't need predrilling. Anyone have experience with these screws or other recommendation for Stainless Steel deck screws?

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Screws for IPE decking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdoctor View Post
Im installing an IPE deck and planning on fastening from the top with Stainless steel screws. This will give the desired look as well I believe a more stable attachment.

Ive been planning on predrilling but some people have mentioned screws like SplitStop that supposedly you don't need predrilling. Anyone have experience with these screws or other recommendation for Stainless Steel deck screws?
i would pre drill the ipe, you will most certainly snap some heads off the stainless steel screws. and even when you pre drill you must be careful. Good luck.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #3

Screws for IPE decking

What bob said. Ipe is REALLY hard, and SS screws are generally brittle. Predrill. But consider on of the hidden fastener systems. No screws on top will make that Ipe look much better.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
dIYHell

Screws for IPE decking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
But consider on of the hidden fastener systems. No screws on top will make that Ipe look much better.
The deck is going with a remodel that we did that has a modern design to it and I like the industrial loook the screws give. Also I believe the top down gives a much more stable attachment keeping the boards from warping.

What hidden fasterner system would you recommend if the deck is inaccessible from the bottom? Im assuming I will have to slot the boards for any that I use?
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote