Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #1

Share |

screws coming loose

I have had my trex deck for about 5 years now, the contractor gave me a 5 year structual warranty. My first complaint was a wavy or humpy area. He made some excuse about diminsonal lumber not being the same size, talking about the joists. Last year I noticed the screw heads were starting to appear, and this year it looks like all of them are coming up, some to the point if you are barefoot you could do some damage to your feet. I tried to screw some of them back in but they just spin freely. Even the ones on the stairs are coming out. The deck itself gets little use. I am getting no help from the contractor, he won't even come out and take a look, which really bugs me.
I have been told that prhaps they had the screw gun torqe to high. Anyone have any ideas or tips in getting some help from the contractor? Isn't decking coming loose from the joist a structual problem? For $20,000 I'd expect a lot more. (It is a big deck.)

Thanks,
Roger roger.26@verizon.net

Baffeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

screws coming loose

its true that the lumber could be different widths, what I do is plane all the beams down to make one even flat plane. the screws could of striped out , or he just could of missed the joist all together.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #3

screws coming loose

Yup, if they're just spinning they were overtightened (or missed the joists as Bob said). Cut your losses and get some longer screws and drive them in. All you need is a drill and a couple hours. Get screws specifically made for composite decking, not regular deck screws.

McFeeley's is a good online source if you don't have a local supplier.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

screws coming loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffeled View Post
... For $20,000 I'd expect a lot more. (It is a big deck.)...
FWIW: If I got a call about an issue on a $20K deck that we built, I'd be out there that day, to take a look at the work....

Lots of times on a deck build, the "new guy" or laborers end up with the screwing down job.

I'd go with KCT's suggestion regarding longer screws and using "deck board screws" like split-stops: http://www.splitstop.com/

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-13-2008 at 05:35 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #5

screws coming loose

Thanks for the tips, that is probably what I'll end up doing, replacing the screws myself. I doubt that they missed the joist cause you can see where they are, and there far to many, nobody could miss them all.(all the screws are coming up) And I do remember it was his kid that put all the planks down.
Thanks again.
Baffeled is offline   Reply With Quote