Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Share |

Screwing track to concrete to wood

Would this tapcon 3/16" x 2-3/4" anchor be the right choice for this? The wood has to withstand baseboard being hammered into it and maybe pried off. The wood won't be attached to the floor but the concrete will be attached to the wall with a bracket because the floor has brittle asbestos tile that I want to keep intact through this and future renovations.
Attached Thumbnails
Screwing track to concrete to wood-screw-concrete-wood.jpg  

Last edited by Dorado; 04-09-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Roofmaster

What are you trying to do? If you are trying to anchor the wood to the concrete you will need to countersink and through drill the wood, pilot drill the concrete with a hammer drill and anchor with the Tapcons. The shank cannot extend into the concrete, it will bottom. You also do not want to use untreated wood in contact with masonry.

From that picture I cant tell what you are trying to do.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

I'm creating a base for studs and drywall. I don't want to penetrate the floor so nothing will go below the wood. The picture here is pretty accurate except the 2x3s will be flat against the floor, not standing on their edge. I may also hammer the 2x3s into the existing baseboard backer.
Attached Thumbnails
Screwing track to concrete to wood-corner-base.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

The tapcons are designed to screw into concrete.
The way you are showing it, just drill all the way through and use a deck screw to hit the wood.
You know this way will move and crack over time.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #5

The screws in the wood just have to act like pins. The bracket and floor will prevent separation of the wood and concrete. But maybe I'll use a little construction adhesive between the wood and concrete. I want to keep the holes in the concrete as small and few as possible.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

The Tapcon package says "Concrete Block & Brick" but it's also for wood. The diagram to the left is from this webpage.
Attached Thumbnails
Screwing track to concrete to wood-tapcon-wood.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #7

Could it be that Tapcons are used to attach wood to metal too?

http://www.fultoncountyga.gov/county...CONCRETE_2.pdf

Quote:
All floor or roof openings two (2) inches or larger shall be protected by plywood attached to concrete
or metal deck with "tapcon" fasteners (power actuated pins will not be allowed).
Maybe it's the combination flat head/hex drive that people want. Maybe it's hard to find in other screws.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #8

This whole plan still makes 0 since to me.
#1 I belive you said you just a renter, how does the landlord feel about this?
Still no idea why your trying to build a wall on top of a stack of patio blocks.
Your building a 6" extention to a wall drilling a few Tap Cons in that floor is not going to do any harm.
Your trying to make this way harder and take far longer then it needs to be.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
#1 I belive you said you just a renter, how does the landlord feel about this?
I own the apartment but I have a lease that I read carefully and what I'm doing is allowed. Penetrating the subfloor may even be allowed, but I read somewhere that it's not allowed and it's possible it was my lease. I still want to scan the lease into my computer to search for the word subfloor.

Quote:
drilling a few Tap Cons in that floor is not going to do any harm.
It's asbestos tile that's already cracked in three places. I read about safe drilling through asbestos. Some people recommend using shaving cream to contain the asbestos, which you'd probably consider overkill but it shows that there's a difference of opinion when dealing with asbestos and I don't want to guess which advice is best. It's pretty much universally recommended and sometimes even required that you get formal training. I'm not sure the legal requirements for disposal. I think I'd have to replace my particulate filters after drilling it, which are probably about as expensive as the concrete I bought. I don't have a HEPA vacuum. The closest I have is an Electrolux with a 4 ply bag. I have telephone wires running under the floor but I don't know where. I may mess up and have to drill again creating even more asbestos dust and creating more cracks. I'm fine with the way I'm doing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Screwing track to concrete to wood-tile-cracks.jpg