Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #1

Share |

screwing in drywall by hand?

Is is possible to screw in drywall by hand?

I hear that newbies have problems with drywall screwgun and wondering if you can screw the drywall in by hand.

Just curious.

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
renovations

Not really, I suppose it would be physically possible, but it's not practical whatsoever. Why not nail it? I don't know why you'd have a problem with a screw gun, it's not brain surgery.

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #3

I would get a dry wall gun to screw with unless i was trying to work out thats a lot of arm if your doing a big area
all vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #4

No, I can't possibaly seeing do this my hand. And I've fixed too many nail pops to ever use nails for drywall.

I've only ever used a drill (which if this is a small project should work fine). Yes, it does take me a minute or two to get the hang of it each time I do this, since I don't do it all that often. But it isn't really all that hard. Yes, when I first get started I might tear through the paper on 3-4 screws/sheet, which is supposed very "bad," but if you shoot another screw right next to it I've never worried about it or had a problem. And there will be handful of screws that I won't drive quite far enough either, but given the infrequency with which I do drywall, I find this acceptable.
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
Is is possible to screw in drywall by hand?

I hear that newbies have problems with drywall screwgun and wondering if you can screw the drywall in by hand.

Just curious.

Sure you can. Go ahead and give it a try...

Then, send us an Email to let us know how it went.....

.... if you can still use your fingers to type....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
General Contractor

I bet I have hand nailed a box car load of board....I didn't even own a screw gun for the first several years. Get a few scraps of 2x4's, build a little wall section like you see on the DIY channel demo's and teach yourself how to set the gun....for a bucks worth of screws, you will master it in no time, and when you get the hang of it, you will know why we screw the board on. FYI guys, we still nail the walls.

Last edited by joasis; 11-04-2006 at 05:58 PM.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #7

Yes, I am going to try it and I will let you know if I can still type
(I can't see it being that difficult to drive a screw into drywall and then wood?)
Or am I just saying this because I still have not tried it?

I guess after some practice, one can master it. You are right, it is not brain surgery.

I have been reading kui****g's experiences with drywall screw gun and he seems to be having problems with it.

Also, if you get the screw it and it perforates the paper, do you have to take it out or just leave it in there and tape over it?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #8

Yummy, have you calculated the number of screws youd will be using? Driving one my hand would be possible (although driving screws without pilot holes is hardly ever easy) but I think we are talking several hundred screws at a minimum.

To those who nail: are nails pops the results of improper installation? I've seen too many that I'd be really scared to nail myself, but maybe I'm being unfair. Or perhaps the very humid summers and very dry winters in my area (MI) contribute to this?

Last edited by LanterDan; 11-04-2006 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
General Contractor

I have seen many cases of "popped" nails in drywall....but there was usually an underlying cause. The quality of nails we get has a lot to do with it, and frankly, the nails we get now are superior to what was used in the past.

I hope you own a digital camara yummy, I really want to see your face after "driving" half a dozen screws by hand....talk about self induced punishment!
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
DIY'er

Yummy,

You know that you can just use a regular drill right? You dont have to use a drywall screwgun if you are worried about learning to use it...Just be really careful, especially when you get to the surface as you want to be just under the surface....(but not breaking the paper)
For your own sanity...please....
I mean if you are worried about breaking the surface of the paper you can use a regular drill and stop just short of the paper and hand tightened from there...
I just cant imagine someone going through hand driving all those screws...Depending on how many sheets you are securing it will take you an ungodly amount of time.

Good Luck!

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."

Last edited by dougrus; 11-04-2006 at 06:50 PM.
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
I have seen many cases of "popped" nails in drywall....but there was usually an underlying cause. The quality of nails we get has a lot to do with it, and frankly, the nails we get now are superior to what was used in the past.
You can use ring shank drywall nails now a-days to 'tack-off' the outside edges. We still use handnails to hold up sheets, ... again:ONLY on the outside edges.
We never nail the 'field' of the board...only screws in the field.

The blueboard hangers we have used only use screw guns...never nails. All they hang is blue board, they don't even know how to put on corner bead. If they see guys using nails to tack the sheetrock edges...

...."Hey!, it's the 70's again... Let's nail-off the sheetrock..."
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #12
World famous jerk.

Before hand screwing on wallboard, it is mandatory that you consume one or several cans of spinnich. You'll need Popeye like forearms for that job..

Yummy... seriously? Have you ever used a screwdriver? I think you're pulling our collective legs here. Either that, or you're nuts. One or the other.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Master Craftsman

Here is a suggestion to keep from having to drive too many screws. USE GLUE. They make drywall adhesive in the big caulking tubes that works very well. When I used to hang we would glue the walls only. Don't do it on the ceiling unless you want a permanent hair doo. When glueing the wall run a 3/8 thick line of glue down the stud behind the sheet you are going to install. Don't glue down past where the sheet will be or you will get it all over you. ON inside walls after putting on the glue and putting up the sheet you will only need one screw on every other stud. The glue will do the rest. ON exterior walls or walls with insulation put one screw in every stud. The reason is the insulation has a habit of pushing the sheet away from the stud and you need the screw to pull it into the glue.These screws should be in the middle of the sheet of course. Also another thing don't put any glue on the stud where the end of the sheet is. You will need to put screws about every 6" on the butt joint and glue will only ooze out and get on your hands.

Dave.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #14

Yes mdshunk, sometimes I do think I am nuts.

But I guess what I am saying is that since I have never done drywall screwing before, I am afraid that I will not be able to do it just right.

Afraid that I will go through the paper.
But I do know that I will eventually get the hang of it when it is time for me to do it.

I also heard that you can get a bit that you can put in front of your regular power drill.

How will that work. I heard that it will stop just short of perforating the paper?

(I still have a long way to go before screwing in drywall)
Old 11-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #15

No I am not pulling your legs.

I am serious about my project. I am not really serious about hand screwing in drywall, but if I have a really hard time with the power drill, then I will do it by hand.

It may take me a long time, but I will do it.

You don't know me, mdshunk, but I am a determined "yummy mummy".