Screwed Up Stair Stringer (picture In Thread) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Theres more then one way.

Rewards Points: 150

Screwed up stair stringer (picture in thread)

Screwed up bad with the top webbing of the stringer layout (very very hard for me, never cut or layed out stair stringers before). Not sure how i missed it, but cut the very top stair too thin and didnt catch it in-till after the bottom landing was in place and nailed. After cutting the 2x4 notch which prevents the top of the stringer from sliding down, there was only 3" of meat in the webbing. In the picture you will see i bolted two peices of metal flat stock 3/16's thick to both sides of the week spot using 3/8's bolts, two above the week spot and two below the week spot and also added a 2x6 support notched under the stringer (gonna wait for the inspector to tak a peek before i go and "finish" roughing in the stairs, the treads have a single nail into each stringer incase he wants me to re-do it.). I personally feel comterbul with the "fix", its acutely stronger how its bolted then if they where cut correctly, but well see what the inspector says.

Any thoughts about this ?
How "you" might have gone about trying to fix it (rather then starting over and doing it correct )

-

Advertisement

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMisspell View Post
Screwed up bad with the top webbing of the stringer layout (very very hard for me, never cut or layed out stair stringers before). Not sure how i missed it, but cut the very top stair too thin and didnt catch it in-till after the bottom landing was in place and nailed. After cutting the 2x4 notch which prevents the top of the stringer from sliding down, there was only 3" of meat in the webbing. In the picture you will see i bolted two peices of metal flat stock 3/16's thick to both sides of the week spot using 3/8's bolts, two above the week spot and two below the week spot and also added a 2x6 support notched under the stringer (gonna wait for the inspector to tak a peek before i go and "finish" roughing in the stairs, the treads have a single nail into each stringer incase he wants me to re-do it.). I personally feel comterbul with the "fix", its acutely stronger how its bolted then if they where cut correctly, but well see what the inspector says.

Any thoughts about this ?
How "you" might have gone about trying to fix it (rather then starting over and doing it correct )

-
You could cut the stringers back even with the girder and put a header there and it should be OK.

Advertisement

BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

It appears to me that you have cut into one of the laminates of the three beam laminates, to fit the stringers. If so this weakens the beam by one third.

Doesn't seem to me, to be a good idea!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Why not nail a pair of headers to the backs and a jack stud imediately below on the left and right postm in order to transfer the weight load.

I don't mean to be critical, but you should insert both pairs of bolts across the grain like the stringer on the right, to avoid a split along the grain of the wood.
RemodelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
It appears to me that you have cut into one of the laminates of the three beam laminates, to fit the stringers.
Its the picture.
What you see cut (for the middle stringer) is the 2x4 so the stringers cant slide down. Im gonna use a hanger for the middle one (screwing up two strings was enough ). The header was never touched. Only used two 2xs for the header cause its only a small landing there and the joists are running perpendicular to the stairs header and "pushing" back on a cinder block wall on the other end, joists are 12 o.c. so i really cant see that header moving or bowing.

This picture might be alittle better to see the cut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemodelMan View Post
Why not nail a pair of headers to the backs and a jack stud imediately below on the left and right postm in order to transfer the weight load.
Thats the plan if the inspector has a problem with it. In a sence thats how the far right stringer is, not really a header but the little notch cut under the second step has a 2x6 running down to the floor and nailed back to the jack stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemodelMan View Post
I don't mean to be critical, but you should insert both pairs of bolts across the grain like the stringer on the right, to avoid a split along the grain of the wood.
Wish you said that sooner
Makes a lot of sense (the stringer to the left is actually the middle stringer, the far left one is not in the picture. Dont know which way i drilled the left one, maybe i got lucky)... im used to working with metal and for the most part we dont have to worry about that kind of stuff

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

_

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
Old 11-07-2008, 06:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I commend you for tackling the stairs. They are the most challenging aspect of carpentry. Stairs can break your spirit. Hang in there!
Expect to spend three times the amount of estimated time on your first few attempts. The math alone is like is a bearcat! The secret is to make a story-pole. before any cutting.

Just a heads-up about the lumber meeting concrete/cement.
Around here, code calls for green treated lumber, if it contacts cement, particularly basement floors. If by chance your plates are in contact, you might be able to slip some plastic laminate or comparable HDPE plastic between the two in order to satisfy the inspector.
RemodelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #7

Asked the inspector to swing by today (finish sheathing the roof, wanted to have him double check everything before i call for a shingle guy). Showed him the stairs, his comments...
"joe, as for the structural aspect, its probably stronger then if it was done correctly, but i have to say, you do some unconventional things here...."
He said he didn't have a problem with it, im gonna add the extra jack stud to the far left stringer.
If done the road there sames to be problems (which i highly dought) will create alittle header of some kind.

It was rather funny...
He stomped up the stairs with alot of his weight, when he got to the top landing he started to jump up and down... then smiled... i said "you an't going any where" he said "i guess not, its solid".

Hes a pretty good guy.

Anyway, thought i would post that the local inspector here didn't have a problem with this "fix".

_

Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

We inspectors have to remain pretty open-minded to non-conventional means and methods sometimes, especially on DIY projects. Glad to hear he recognized that you'd done a good job of strengthening the stairs and went with it!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
We inspectors have to remain pretty open-minded to non-conventional means and methods sometimes, especially on DIY projects. Glad to hear he recognized that you'd done a good job of strengthening the stairs and went with it!
That's a good point,and a good observation.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
We inspectors....
From what you see in the picture, what would your decision be ?

Advertisement