Screw Drop In Stove To Granite? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Screw drop in stove to granite?

Hello, We want to have granite installed in our kitchen, but we now have a 14 year old drop in stove that we want to keep using and wonder if we can. This stove is held in with four screws into the sides of the formica. How will an installer attach this stove to granite? Or, are we going to have to replace the stove with a free standing one? Thanks a lot. Tom

Advertisement

Tom43diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

Items I'd be concerned with, it's 14 years old, and the higher cost of having to have another hole cut in the top, qnd taking up valuable counter top space.
If you had to have a counter top unit, I'd concider buying a new one, what do you do when that old one fails and a new one needs to be a differant size hole?
It would not be a big deal for the top fabracators to drill some holes to attach the top or epoxy some L shaped brackets, not free, but simple enough to do.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

I have always understood "drop in" to mean a all in one stove....stove top and oven...the whole thing basically slides in.

Are you saying you have just a stove top with the oven in a different location?

Most 'good stove tops just stay in place due to their own weight....ours does.

Like Joe said....what are you going to do if it fails and you can't get one the exact same size?

With that said...when we were buying ours....the newer ones are pretty much the same size for each given size class....ours is 36" wide....and sometimes that is not big enough.....

Granite is one of those things....once you do it....don't expect to make a lot of changes...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote