Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Share |

Screened In Porch Rebuild or Repair?

So 8 months ago I purchased a 2 story home that was built in 1890 and 7 Years ago the home was moved off its foundation and Had a new poured one put under it and new plumbing and electrical and HVAC. So now here is the problem I have that i want to explain before I start making to many plans.. I NEED ADVICE.. It has a front porch on it that is about 30 inches off the ground and it stretches the width of the house.. 30ft it starts off on the north at 8 ft out from the house and than steps in a few times to get to 16ft. It has normal Deck Boards on it that have been Painted and has 4x4 posts every 4 ft all the way around that sit on a sill plate and than there is a 2x6 top plate and than the original header for the porch. It has original Crown molding on the outside by the Fascia and on the inside where there was bead board on the ceiling and someone screwed on T-111 siding up there over it. All the Crown molding on the outside and the fascia is rotted So that's where i need to start and also there is a small sag on the north side towards the middle and the north is pulled away from the house about 1.5" on the bottom. There is also screen stapled in all the way around. ITS UGLY!!

So i would like to make a maintenance free porch new sofit and fascia and a trex style decking and PVC posts and maybe a Nova brick around the front... Now is it going to be easier to just tear the whole thing down and start over or what should I do? I can try and get some pictures on here tomorrow or something. This was the factor that made her not want the home as there is a smaler porch on the back in the same shape so its time to start planning and since i have never screened a porch or built a porch I could use some advice.. I cam prettymuch accomplish anything and i have all the tools just not always the time

Cowead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #2

Really need those pictures.
A lot depends on what's now rotted behind the trim.

There's composit decking that's 2-1/4 T&G in a number if differant colors, even the classic gray so it would look more like the old style deck boards.
The crown can be replaced with vinyl crown.

Those post can be covered with vinyl snap on post covers.

I'd use the vinyl Screen Tite screen framing. You just install vinyl strips with stainless steel screws, install the screening with cording then snap on a cover to hide the screws.

None of this is cheap.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

As Far as cost goes I am not really all that worried about it. I want it done once and want it done right I just dont know much about building a porch or tearing down the old one. I have seen the Screen tight stuff before and I am aware that i can wrap my posts but I have one every 4ft with a 2x4 in between each one I really want to open it up and make the screened in area as large as possible with no posts obstructing my view. I was also thinking about where it comes up that 24inches from ground to the top of the deck about running a Nova brick up 4ft from the ground and than 2 ft on the inside of the deck and putting on a stone cap.. would that work? I just need to get my porches figured out so I can shingle and put new siding on the new home..
Attached Thumbnails
Screened In Porch Rebuild or Repair?-porch2.jpg   Screened In Porch Rebuild or Repair?-porch1.jpg   Screened In Porch Rebuild or Repair?-porch3.jpg   Screened In Porch Rebuild or Repair?-porch4.jpg   Screened In Porch Rebuild or Repair?-porch5.jpg  

Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
STAFF

If you can post some pictures we may be able to help more. If you do replace the screen I wouldn't go back with the vinyl screen, bugs can and will eat holes in it, go with the aluminum screen.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
If you can post some pictures we may be able to help more. If you do replace the screen I wouldn't go back with the vinyl screen, bugs can and will eat holes in it, go with the aluminum screen.
What else would you like pictures of? I Will get you some more after I get done with work if its still light out.. I live up north so the days are getting shorter up here and soon everything's going to be covered in snow lol
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

The bigger the screen the more often there going to be blowing out. I can see getting rid of the 2 X 4's between the 4 X 4's.
If I understand you correctly in order to build that stone wall would require having a footing. A major job with the porch in the way.
Looks like your going to have to do some demo work to see just how bad that roof is before doing anything.

Last edited by joecaption; 10-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
STAFF

Man, I know I am slow at typing but this is pitiful, or either you are really fast at posting pictures.

I wouldn't tear the porch off, I would work with what is there, it would be easier for me anyway.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 10-26-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Mod

Personally… I’d frame in the bottom third and side it.

Enough to create a windbreak but not too high to obstruct the view when sitting. I think that would look and work better.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Man, I know I am slow at typing but this is pitiful, or either you are really fast at posting pictures.
You could type faster, if you weren't also running that router in your other hand while your typing. LOL
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-26-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #10

So basically just strip off all the old Crown and facia and roof and everything on top down to bare rafters and than get some jacks to hold it up while i replace the Decking material and the posts and than frame up around the posts and in between with siding but what do I use on the top than to make it maintenance free? and when Im done just have someone come in to wrap the huge header on the original porch and than re sheet and re shingle? I am planning on getting rid of the white steps and putting something more easy on the eye in like stone steps or something and than we are planning on tearing out the walkway from the sidewalk to the front and putting pavers in on the entire leftside with a gas firepit