Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

Share |

Screened in porch kit/advice

I am interested in adding a screened porch on to the rear of my house. I live in SE Michigan. I have heard of DIY kits being sold but I can't seem to find any info searching the web. I have seen metal roofed ones in my old neighborhood that look like DIY style. I'm looking to make it 15X30. I was thinking that I would have a pro pour a slab and maybe I can handle the rest. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I allways like to do stuff myself. I would be a little concerned about tieing it in to the existing roof but maybe a kit would simplify that.
AL C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #2

There's hundreds of "kits" sold on line.
Not sure why your worryed about tying into the the existing roof, it's by far the best and most leak free way to do it.

Almost every DIY shed style porch roof that's attached below the roof line that I've every seen leaks, and does not have enough slope.

One other thing to avoid is poring the slab to low. In most cases it's better to do a stem wall then back fill to form your slab.
This works better for several reasons, if you decide to enclose it later on you already have a propper footing, and it gets it high enough above grade so water does not get under the wall when it rains.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Maybe I'm using the wrong search text because I can't find any kits on line. If you know of any companies that sell them I would really appreciate the info
AL C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

I just went on Ask.com and with the words "screen room kits" I got several thousand hits.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
AL C. (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I just went on Ask.com and with the words "screen room kits" I got several thousand hits.
Did the same with Google and DuckDuck Go. I got pages and pages too.

Like Joe, I have not seen many of the kits with roofs that do not leak. Definitely focus in on that when ordering. Many of them do not have suitable front overhangs either. And I would see if you can find one that would enable adding a gutter and downspout along the front edge.

Last edited by user1007; 07-10-2012 at 09:17 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
AL C. (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
DIY-er

Here's a good discussion on sunrooms and sunroom kits .....

http://www.home-additions-startup-gu...additions.html
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinPh For This Useful Post:
AL C. (07-10-2012), user1007 (07-10-2012)