Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #1

Share |

Screened porch corner framing

Good afternoon,

I Have framed a 12' x 14' screened porch. Construction consists of 2x4 bottom plate bolted to deck framing. Side walls (14 feet) have 5 4x4 posts toenailed to the bottom plate. The posts at the house are bolted to the house framing. Wall away from house( 12 feet) has 4 posts. The corners posts are shared between the side walls and the end wall. There is a 2x4 single top plate with a double 2x6 with 1/2 spacer built up header on top of that. At the corner, the headers intersect in a herringbone manner. Inspector advised, vaguely, that I add stapping reinforcement to the intersections to 1) tie the intersecting headers together 2) tie the header/top plate assembly to the post and 3) tie the posts to the deck. Plans were approved without specification for strapping/post-beam connectors at the corners.

What I did is shown in the pictures below. There is also an 18 inch strap at each corern post going down to the deck to tie them together.

Questions for you are:
1) is this sufficient or do i need to tie every post in to the header with a post-beam connector or stap? and
2) similarly, do i need to strap each post to the deck like i did at the corners?

My hopes, from a cosmetic standpoint, were to only have to do it at the corners.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Screened porch corner framing-2477145.jpg   Screened porch corner framing-1088570.jpg  

harri320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #2

I would strap each post for good measure. You mention cosmetic issue with adding the straps, are you planning on leaving it all exposed? I would recommend an aluminum trim coil wrap at minimum.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

Yep, was planning on leaving everything exposed on the interior side of the porch. Given that I will be adding straps to the top and bottom of every post - on the exterior side only - I guess I will use a compsosite (azek) trim on the exterior surface of the porch. this will make screening easier as well as I can just staple it to the face of the posts and cover with the trim boards.
harri320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by harri320 View Post
this will make screening easier as well as I can just staple it to the face of the posts and cover with the trim boards.
I wouldn't do that. Cover the posts with the azek and then install the screens with a trim piece made for screens. If you get a tear in the screen you'll have to dismantle the whole thing to get at it.