Screened Porch Attachment - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Screened porch attachment

Best case scenario, I find framing in the exterior wall where I want to attach the side walls to the house. Worst case, my porch wall sits between two studs. What is the best way to attach the porch wall to the house then? Cut the sheathing and insert some blocking?

I was restricted as to where to put the side walls, thats the issue.

Advertisement

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

PICTURE'S PLEASE. this way we can better help you. BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

The plans call for basic treated 2x4 intermediates with supporting posts on the outboard end to carry the roof... your basic, screened porch. I'll have a treated 2x4, on the flat, against the house sheathing to catch the top and bottom plates of the sidewalls. The 2x4 against the wall is my question....how to attach that to tghe wall of the house. I can cut the sheathing on the adjacent studs, pull that out, put some blocking all the way up the full height of that 2x4, replace the sheathing and then nail, lag or whatever the 2x4 to the blocking. Would that be overkill?

If I'm still not being clear, I can post pics.

Thanks
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

IT SOUNDS TO ME YOU ARE ASKING HOW TO INSTALL A JACK STUD AGAINST A EXISTING HOUSE WALL. FROM WHAT YOU STATED THAT WOULD BE IDEAL. BUT SOME WHAT OF AN OVER KILL. WHAT I WOULD DO IS MARK THE EXISTING SIDING THEN CUT AND REMOVE IT. SLIP A LENTGH OF ALUM COIL SCRAPES BEHIND THE EXISTING SIDING ON BOTH SIDES AND OVER LAP THEM, YOU CAN GO A LITTLE CRAZY WHEN IT COMES TO COVERING THIS POST WITH ALUM.YOU HAVE THE ABILTY TO BECREATIVE ON HOW TO MAKE THIS AREA WATER PROOF AND AT THE SAME TIME MAKING IT PAINT AND STAIN FREE. WELL ANYWAY, THEN INSTALL YOUR 2X4 WITH SOME DECK SCREWS AND NAILS AT THE BOTTOM AND TOP PLATE CONECTIONS. if YOU ARE TIEING INTO JUST THE SHEATHING THEN IT MUST BE BLOCKED IN YOU JUST CAN'T RELY ON THE SHEATING FOR FASTING. GOOD LUCK BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote