Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Screened Deck Possible?

Need some advice on screening part of our deck - is it doable and how?

The deck is on the east side of the house. There is a great, private view of the yard from there, but its really buggy in the warm months so we never go out there.

Also, I need a dry place to put a work bench and all my tools, for handyman projects.

I'm hoping the screened area can give us a seating area on the deck and give me a place for my fix-up projects.

The area we want to screen is the narrow end of the deck (red dots in picture 5). More pictures in next post.

We will contract this out.

What do you think?

Thanks.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Screened Deck Possible?-1.jpg   Screened Deck Possible?-2.jpg   Screened Deck Possible?-3.jpg   Screened Deck Possible?-4.jpg   Screened Deck Possible?-5.jpg  

Screened Deck Possible?-6.jpg  

John_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Screened Deck Possible?

Here are the other pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Screened Deck Possible?-7.jpg   Screened Deck Possible?-8.jpg   Screened Deck Possible?-9.jpg   Screened Deck Possible?-10.jpg   Screened Deck Possible?-11.jpg  

Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 302

Screened Deck Possible?

It sure is possible. Your contractor, architect, engineer or whomever designs the screen room will need to check the footings, frame, and posts of your deck first to see if they are properly constructed for the existing deck as well as the additional loads imposed by the new roof and walls.
There are many manufacturers who sell screen room kits. Your builder may have his own designs that use pre-manufactured panels, or he may prefer to build his own.
Your options are virtually unlimited, providing that your existing structure is up to code.
If not, then you'll need to start from the ground up.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davejss For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (07-14-2013), John_W (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,320

Screened Deck Possible?

No way would I want a work shop in a screened in porch. The dust on the screen, the humidly and water going in through the screens will be a PITA.
A porch with a roof on it in most areas is going to require 6 X 6's for post not 4 X 4's.
No currant codes will allow rim joist to be just attached to the sides of the post.
Those sure to not look like footings you have those post on, also there's no post block by the looks of it to support the post and hold them up off the concrete.
How was the ledger attached to the wall?
Looks like you also have 2X's in direct contact with grade.
No 2X's are direct grade contact rated.
Deck boards need to be high enough to allow air flow under the deck or there going to mold up and rot.

Last edited by joecaption; 07-14-2013 at 07:12 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #5

Screened Deck Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No way would I want a work shop in a screened in porch. The dust on the screen, the humidly and water going in through the screens will be a PITA.
Joe,

Good point about dust. I'd have to limit my working inside the screen to non-dust creating projects. I guess I would also have to have sliding glass to cover the screens in the workbench area so no blowing rain can get at it. The more I think about it, the more it does sound like a PITA.

Currently, I work in the garage which is almost as muggy in summer and not heated or air conditioned. I don't mind that. I'm not a heavy duty project guy. Just fixing things that break or pulling maintenance on stuff, so I wasn't planning to spend a lot of time in the deck doing work.

But, we are planning to convert the garage into living space - which I will probably post about soon. So, I need a new workplace and a little tool storage space. And I'm not rich so I'm trying to figure out how to do this stuff economically AND properly.

Its not a good situation.

As to the soundness of the existing deck, for the purpose of adding a screened section, I appreciate your comments and suspected I might be in trouble. I'm not a pro. I want this screened deck to be done properly.

Thanks,

John
Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,320

Screened Deck Possible?

If this is going to end up being enclosed at some point you going to have too deal with another issue, your going to have to deal with water coming in under the wall where the deck meets the bottom plate if you build it that way.
Getting rid of that decking on the right and doing a stone patio of some sort may be an option.
John_W (07-15-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Screened Deck Possible?

Buy a pre built or a metal shed from that company that does car ports. Then run electrical later when you can afford it. Till then just use a heavy duty cord on a real
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #8

Screened Deck Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If this is going to end up being enclosed at some point you going to have too deal with another issue, your going to have to deal with water coming in under the wall where the deck meets the bottom plate if you build it that way.
Getting rid of that decking on the right and doing a stone patio of some sort may be an option.
Now I'm more concerned. Why is it only a problem if we enclose the screened part?

I would not close it up completely because I want air to be free to move through the soffit vents.

I don't know if this helps but the wide (right) side of the deck, and half the width of the narrow (left side) of the deck were built on top of an existing concrete patio. The deck boards there are nailed to pressure treated 2x2s that are resting on that concrete.

If we did enclose the narrow end (left side in picture 5), then it would be best to remove all parts of the existing deck first, and start from scratch?

Last edited by John_W; 07-14-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: add another question and info
Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #9

Screened Deck Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman88 View Post
Buy a pre built or a metal shed from that company that does car ports. Then run electrical later when you can afford it. Till then just use a heavy duty cord on a real

I was hoping to avoid that by locating the bench and tools on the deck. The only places I can put a shed are buggy.

Are there "affordable" sheds that are tight enough to keep mosquitoes out?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #10

Screened Deck Possible?

Depends on the size you are looking for. But yes at shed can keep bugs out if you seal it. And all sheds would need to be sealed some are easier then others.
The Following User Says Thank You to redman88 For This Useful Post:
John_W (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,022

Screened Deck Possible?

just realize you have to be careful moving lumber around in your screened in area or you'll poke the screens out, same with glass .....

personally I'd build a work area like redman suggested. screens on windows & door would help to keep the bugs out.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
John_W (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #12

Screened Deck Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
just realize you have to be careful moving lumber around in your screened in area or you'll poke the screens out, same with glass .....

personally I'd build a work area like redman suggested. screens on windows & door would help to keep the bugs out.
Good points. I sure don't want to tear or break anything.

I could put 'fencing' at both ends of the workbench to reduce the possibility that a stray 'missile' might zoom into a window or screen. Maybe even surround the bench completely.

I can do lumber projects out on what remains of the deck.

I'm used to being able to walk into the garage and do work right away, without considering the weather, etc. Little, quick projects mainly. Any place on our lot that I could put a shed on would be a 'long' walk, in bad weather maybe, with the bug issue, dirt tracking back into the house, etc. A PITA as Joe put it.

Last edited by John_W; 07-15-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #13

Screened Deck Possible?

Tear out that section of wooden deck in put in the shed.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #14

Screened Deck Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman88 View Post
Tear out that section of wooden deck in put in the shed.
Maybe.

You guys really don't want to let me work in the screened end.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Screened Deck Possible?

Yes at reduce can keep insects out if you closure it. And all garden sheds would need to be enclosed some are simpler then others. Getting rid of that deck on the right and doing a rock terrace of some type may be an choice.

mariaruth is offline   Reply With Quote