Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Share |

Screen room framing help

So. I took on a project to build a screen room at my father in laws girlfriends house. Being a moderate DIY'er I figured how hard could it be?... I seem to have hit a wall. Let me say this I am prepared for any criticism I may receive and will be more than happy to eat my share of crow..

That being said, I layed out and installed a 2 x 4 pt bottom plate, I then proceeded to install the vertical studs, as you can see in the pictures, I offset them to one side (I know now this was incorrect & I am in the process of reinstalling them inline with the existing 2x4 roof joists).

The existing roof is 2x4's spaced 24" apart which is part of my problem, I installed the vertical studs 48" apart (every other 2x4). The front plate where the roof 2x4's connect is about 6" further out than where my verticals are.

The problem I have is that I cannot figure out how to get a square top plate to be able to attach the screen when the time comes. I have that extra 6" of existing roof 2x4 extending past my vertical, and the extra 2x4 in the center. I need to make it square. I just can't figure out how.

I considered cutting out the existing roof 2x4's and moving the 2x6 front plate in flush with my 2x4 verticals. This has really been my only possible thought of a solution.

I would greatly appreciate any hep I can get.

Thanks guys..Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Screen room framing help-sr3.jpg   Screen room framing help-sr1.jpg   Screen room framing help-sr4.jpg  

ScottFla40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
DIY staff

Screen room framing help

Do you have a plan in mind?

A top plate would have been a nice touch--now you have nothing to staple the screen to,

Are you planning on a center rail? Screen only comes in certain sizes--so you need those numbers before you complete the plan---

ScottFla40 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #3

Screen room framing help

Honestly Mike I used a similar plan that I found online @ Extreme how-to website. In that plan it didn't show center braces to attach the screen to. However it did show a top plate and that's exactly where I am running into the problem and looking for a solution.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #4

Screen room framing help

You need a top plate as mike said.

Brace up the roof and cut the existing 2x4's so you can slide a plate in.

I think the the 4' between studs is so you can buy 4' screen and run it top to bottom eliminating the center 2x.

the problem is you need to have the center rail or someone will try to walk through the screening.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to framer52 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-18-2012), ScottFla40 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #5

Screen room framing help

I have a center rail that runs 2ft above the bottom plate its just not shown in the pictures. I understand the need for the top plate,I plan on removing the existing roof 2x4 to alleviate that issue however, I am still confused about putting the top plate in. With the existing roof 2x4's being pitched, how can I tie in the new vertical studs, top plate and existing roof 2x's so they are square?..
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
DIY staff

Screen room framing help

If you have a table saw---use a 2x6 and rip an angle on both leading edges--

Also---to keep out bugs---add blocking above the wall--between the roof rafters.

The wall is not load bearing--just there to hold the screen--so a square top to the wall would be acceptable---it will be tight to the blocking so no bugs will get in..trim could hide the gap if you wished.
ScottFla40 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #7

Screen room framing help

I would never try to cut in a birds mouth in a 2 X 4 rafter. It's already under sized and may sag if it's cut.
I'd do more like Mike suggested and prebuild a wall laying down with the 2 X 4's cut to the pitch of the roof with a 2 X 6 that had been precut on the outside edges also to the pitch of the roof as a top plate.
Once the walls up just add blocking between the rafters.

It's never a good idea to just attach the 2 X 4's the way you have to the sides of the rafters, they should have been installed under it cut at an angle.

A yes that all had to have the studs layed out so there all the same spacing using the confines of the avalible screening.
That cross piece also helps to geet the 2 X's from twisting or bowing, and helps to keep the screening from blowing out in a wind storm.
Any screen 48" or wider is far more likly to blow out or stretch.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ScottFla40 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #8

Screen room framing help

So what I am visualizing is removing the center rafter between my verticals, then cutting a 2x4 for my top plate and placing it at the top of my vertical but under the existing rafter then blocking out to take up the remaining space. Sounds right, but is it??..
Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Newbie Bill

Screen room framing help

If I am understanding what Joe and Mike are suggesting, you don't want to remove any of the rafters. Your top plate will run underneath all the rafters. The blocking is then placed above your top plate in between each rafter.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drtbk4ever For This Useful Post:
ScottFla40 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Newbie Bill

Screen room framing help

I'll try to post up a pic of what I think the guys are saying.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen room framing help-sr42.jpg  

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 07-19-2012 at 10:49 AM.
ScottFla40 (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #11

Screen room framing help

Drtbk, It could be what they mean and maybe I am just misunderstanding. What I was trying envision was placing the verticals angle cut to meet the rxisting rafter with the top plate in between them. Which brings me to another question, if my verticals are bevel cut to meet the rafter wont my top plate be angled where it meets the vertical and existing rafter?.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #12

Screen room framing help

Thanks for that pic Drtbk I am a very visual person. Please see my previos post about angles. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Newbie Bill

Screen room framing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFla40 View Post
Drtbk, It could be what they mean and maybe I am just misunderstanding. What I was trying envision was placing the verticals angle cut to meet the rxisting rafter with the top plate in between them. Which brings me to another question, if my verticals are bevel cut to meet the rafter wont my top plate be angled where it meets the vertical and existing rafter?.
Hi Scott, I wouldn't put the top plate between the rafters but underneath. like in that picture.

Then like you indicated, the top plate will be on an angle and then you bevel cut the verticals on an angle to match.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen room framing help-vert.jpg  

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 07-19-2012 at 11:59 AM.
ScottFla40 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
Newbie Bill

Screen room framing help

I think Joe mentioned if you have enough space, to assemble the wall on the ground first with the top plate attached to the verticals. Then slide it up into position and secure. Then do your blocking. If you don't have the space, then determine the location of your top plate, secure it to the rafters, then cut each individual vertical to fit.

Perhaps Joe and/or Mike can confirm that we are on the right track, because I am not, nor have I ever been, in the business.

ScottFla40 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #15

Screen room framing help

With that last pic, I see where your going. I will probably have to secure the top plate then bevel cut my verticals due to lack of space. I appreciate your help. Thanks again. I will post pics as I progress or when I have more issues!!!.. LOL!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to ScottFla40 For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (07-19-2012)