Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |
Question

School Project - NEED HELP!

Hello!
I am look for help from a commercial contractor. I am a student at a local business school currently working on my last quarter. For a class project, I have to write a proposal for creating a new campus for our school. It's a large project that I'm just getting started on. I've picked out a retail location that is 30,000 square feet.

What the project entails:
• Tear down of a 30,000 sq ft retail building
• Constructing a 30,000 sq ft, multi-level office building

The information that I'm looking for is:
• cost of materials & labor
• timetable/timeline
• staffing
• basic plan of action

I understand that I'm asking you to provide a lot of information without receiving anything in return for it. Any information that you could provide would be extremely helpful.

Thank you,
Angela

acourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Hi Courtney,

Way too vague. You need an Architect to get involved to do a schematic design of the type and purpose of the intended building. 30,000 square feet is not very big for a multi story building ie 10K per floor? Were I you, I would go to a local architectural firm, they might have an intern help you with your project.

Good Luck to You.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
acourtney (05-11-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #3

Welcome to the Forum Angela!

as Mr. Jagan said way too vague. Construction costs are typically location based, in other words what it costs to build in Boston is not the same as building in Ocala, Florida. It also depends on the Use Group, type of construction and local code requirements.

I would follow his advice and contact a local architect and see if they may assist you with your project. They would be more in tune with what you are attempting.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
acourtney (05-11-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

Another angle to consider for your project would be to renovate the existing building instead of demolishing it and building a new one. Not only would that be more cost-effective, but it would also show that you can think out-of-the-box for your projects. I see many renovations of this type done with excellent results and the cost savings are significant.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Ángela,

¿Are you to simply compile this information, or are you to derive it from your own understanding and calculations?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #6

I need to compile it and present it. When I try to research it I find very little helpful information. The researching part of the project is not important. I have to take the information and create a business proposal, that's the important part.
acourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtney View Post
I need to compile it and present it. When I try to research it I find very little helpful information. The researching part of the project is not important. I have to take the information and create a business proposal, that's the important part.
Then that makes it easy.
It really doesn't matter if you obtain any realistic or accurate numbers. Just WAG (Wild Arze Guess) it, and put together something in the proper format that you have been taught to use.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

This isn't really information you'll find published on the internet or in books as it varies wildly from city to city.

I would call up a local architect, explain what you are doing, and ask if you can speak with their estimator. From your small description it sounds like you are trying to make a "Scope of work". They should be able to give you an approximate squarefoot price for demo and construction of a typical retail building they have done in the past. Your local building inspector might be able to help you out as well.

You'll have to talk to a owner/manager of a local retail outlet to get some ideas on approximate store sizes and staffing.

Hope this points you in the right direction. Don't worry too much about accuracy of the numbers; estimates are only estimates. Good Luck!
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might check real estate comparables for like buildings recently built and constructed.

If you can find the general contractor who built them, they may be willing to share cost information with you.

Last edited by user1007; 05-11-2013 at 03:13 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commercial contracting, construction, construction estimating, help me please