Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Schluter Schiene-radius

Hello every1!,
I am tiling a curved alcove/niche in my tub/shower area. I was informed by my tiling rep that the Schluter schiene-radius was the way to go if I wanted a clean finished edge. Yet now that I have it home, I am having troubles figuring out how to bend it so that I do not get any kinks in it. I have searched the Schluter website, I can't find any information. I have searched the web & again, come up with nothing. I am hoping that someone here has used the product & can tell me just exactly what I must do to get a clean unkinked finish.

Thank you so much !

RikksTamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 28

Schluter Schiene-radius

I don't think that product was ever intended for any short radius project like a shower niche. Those pieces are intended for floors with a gradual radius to meet. I've used plenty of it and I can't imagine it working in your application.

There is however a crank and roller tool available that will help in the bending of those profiles but even then I'm not sure it would do a small radius.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #3

Schluter Schiene-radius

Thank you so much Bud for responding. Being new, I'm not sure how to post pictures here yet, but in the pictures that I have seen promoting the product, the radius seems to be very small, with small curves. Are you saying that if I do indeed bend it, I will have kinks in the product ? I have tried to cut (with a hack-saw) the back of the bracing piece right to the trim - I have also tried using pliers to gradually bend the strip, a little at a time, hoping to finally get a smaller radius. but it seems that you might just be right - I am going to have kinks.

thanx RikksTamo
Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Schluter Schiene-radius

Bud ? do you have any other suggestions then as to what product I can use ?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #5

Schluter Schiene-radius

http://www.masterwholesale.com/mwist...dID=1255974313

there's a picture that I am referring to on this website
Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Tileguy

Schluter Schiene-radius

I see that!

I went to Shag's website to see if they stated a max/min radius and they do claim it will bend to a small radius, but they don't say how small. The photo they offer makes it look do-able.
http://www.shagtools.com/tools/schlu...-radius-ae.cfm

I'm still not convinced but I have never tried to do it that small.
What material is your Schiene?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Tileguy

Schluter Schiene-radius

Quote:
there's a picture that I am referring to on this website
Looks like the same picture on both websites. The website you mention clearly says: "for floors".

Quote:
do you have any other suggestions then as to what product I can use ?
Ya know! Years ago before Schluter came up with that product I used to make my own (bendables) using a mitre/chop saw and their straight sticks. I had been kerfing lumber for years and didn't see why it wouldn't work with the tile edging products. It worked great. I'll bet a guy could make "more" cuts in the product you have and that would allow a tighter bend.

There are also the same products available in plastic but none of them I have seen duplicate the metal look. There are some nice colors available in plastic tho.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #8

Schluter Schiene-radius

Funny thing, . . . .
I phoned our local McDiramid Lumber, & all they had was the plastic product that you have mentioned. Your right - there is no comparison between the two. I also phoned my local Home Depot & ended up running down there. One of the representatives mentioned that a Schluter rep was in the store explaining & demonstrating what you can do with their Schiene & Scheine-radius & it is exactly what you have just mentioned.
So I am going to attempt to make a zillion small cuts behind the trim edge & see just how it curves. I still can't see it curving nicely without kinks - but I will let you know.

Oh, another bit o' info - even though the website says that it is for the floor, a tile representative explained that they have used it for demonstarion walls in one of their stores. He said it worked for both applications. Only he forgot to explain how to install it.

I sure appreciate all of your help & responses Bud.

Thank you agian.
RikksTamo
Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #9

Schluter Schiene-radius

Sorry - the material is a light metal - aluminum I think.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Tileguy

Schluter Schiene-radius

Quote:
Sorry - the material is a light metal - aluminum I think.
Actually that's the best news of all. The aluminum is easy to cut and easy to work with. It will be important tho that your new cuts (kerfs) are consistent and exact because they will be the determining factor in how smoothly the metal bends for you. I think it will work.

They also have those products made from real brass, that would also be do-able. Stainless steel is also available, good luck with that crap. The aluminum is the more popular, more cost effective, and easiest to work with.