Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |

Schlage entry door knobs

Our house has new schlage door knobs in the entire house... well I am throughly annoyed by the entry knobs... when you lock them the outside handle locks, but inside you can open the door right up and go outside and oops your locked out now...why in the world would someone want a door in a house that the inside knob / handle turns when the door is locked?

is there any way to alter how these knobs work? I went to lowes and every entry door knob I looked at for slage and kwickset do this! I want it to be the old when its locked its locked on both sides knobs...

can you change how they work? thanks

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #2

Schlage entry door knobs

Sorry for the fact that I can't pull the correct terms out of my noggin right now, but I know exactly what you are referring to, and do not believe that there is any way to alter their operation. The style that you have has the emergency exit feature, or some such thing, obviously intended for a quick exit, without having to fumble with the knob. I sort of recall reading something several years back that this style of lock was going to be required, at some point, in new construction, and although they are increasingly common, I do not think that they have made it to the required list yet. Although a bit harder to find, I believe that the other style is still available, by at least some manufacturers. Sorry for the ambiguities, but my brain seems to get tired some days.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #3

Schlage entry door knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Sorry for the fact that I can't pull the correct terms out of my noggin right now, but I know exactly what you are referring to, and do not believe that there is any way to alter their operation. The style that you have has the emergency exit feature, or some such thing, obviously intended for a quick exit, without having to fumble with the knob. I sort of recall reading something several years back that this style of lock was going to be required, at some point, in new construction, and although they are increasingly common, I do not think that they have made it to the required list yet. Although a bit harder to find, I believe that the other style is still available, by at least some manufacturers. Sorry for the ambiguities, but my brain seems to get tired some days.

Ugh I hate them, how many times I would of locked myself out of the house... I always have to carry my keys with me anytime I even think about going outside just in case.... guess its time to put a digital dead bolt lock in the garage entry to the house.... that way I'd at least have a key code to get into the garage and a another one to get into the house from there...

if I was to design these I'd have them unlock the door if you go from inside to outside... at least then you'd not get locked out...
Old 11-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #4

Schlage entry door knobs

All the entry door knob locks I recall when I was growing up and through college (dorms) (through 1980's) were that way, you can always twist the inside knob even when the outside knob is licked. And twisting the inside knob did not set the outside knob to unlocked.

In the 1970's at least there were some interior lock knobs, mainly for bathrooms, where turning the inside knob changed the outside knob to unlocked. On a few (interior only) closing the door, depressing the catch, also changed the outside knob to unlocked.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-12-2010 at 12:15 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #5

Schlage entry door knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
guess its time to put a digital dead bolt lock in the garage entry to the house.... that way I'd at least have a key code to get into the garage and a another one to get into the house from there...
That is exactly what I did a few years ago, and it has worked well for us; in fact, it has worked out even better than I thought that it might. We live in a relatively remote area, but nevertheless, crime has expanded, so while we used to leave the house unlocked while working in the garden, going walking, or whatever, we now simply lock the deadbolt, and don't worry about whether we have our keys, or not.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Tool Geek

Schlage entry door knobs

Blue, You can also keep a hidden key outside the house.
That is , somewhere other than 'under the mat'
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Do it right.

Schlage entry door knobs

I believe it is a safety thing, same reason dead bolts don't have keyed locks on the side anymore, in case of fire they don't want you fumbling with a lock to get out.
SubSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #8

Schlage entry door knobs

I have been furious about my new schlage door knob that constantly lock us out. We bought Gatehouse door knobs when we moved into our house two years ago. They are fantastic. They have the emergency open from the inside when lock feature BUT they automatically unlock the knob when exiting from the inside. We have never locked ourselves out. We are remodeling the kitchen and bought a new back door that had two holes in it so we bought new deadbolt and door knob that match. Gatehouse is being clearanced out at Lowe's for some reason and I can not find them anywhere so we bought Schlage. Now we lock ourselves out constantly. I emailed Schlage and told them how dangerous the emergency exit feature is without a feature that unlocks the knob when turned. They had no answer for me. She offered to send me a exchange certificate. The F51 knobs don't have the emergency exit feature. The F54 ones do is what she told me. This is in Colorado. Other states who think they have to think for you may require only the emergency exit ones (I expect the federal government to babysit us into requiring them soon also). I would rather have to unlock my door to get out in case of a fire then get locked out when it is 10 degrees outside in my wet swimming suit after being in the hot tub. We have put a spare key outside but it is a pain in the ___ to fumble for the key in a wet swimming suit when it is 10 degrees outside because your "safety feature" door knob has locked you out AGAIN!
My door installer threw away the box and receipt for my Schlage door knob so I can't get the replacement certificate. I am so mad at them that I bought a Kwikset door knob and I am going to ship the Schlage set back to them with a long letter telling them they are idiots and are endangering lives with their "safety feature." I feel better now being able to tell someone else about my frustration. Remodeling is stressful enough without having this kind of crap to deal with! Thanks for listening.
jqsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #9

Schlage entry door knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsat View Post
I have been furious about my new schlage door knob that constantly lock us out. We bought Gatehouse door knobs when we moved into our house two years ago. They are fantastic. They have the emergency open from the inside when lock feature BUT they automatically unlock the knob when exiting from the inside. We have never locked ourselves out. We are remodeling the kitchen and bought a new back door that had two holes in it so we bought new deadbolt and door knob that match. Gatehouse is being clearanced out at Lowe's for some reason and I can not find them anywhere so we bought Schlage. Now we lock ourselves out constantly. I emailed Schlage and told them how dangerous the emergency exit feature is without a feature that unlocks the knob when turned. They had no answer for me. She offered to send me a exchange certificate. The F51 knobs don't have the emergency exit feature. The F54 ones do is what she told me. This is in Colorado. Other states who think they have to think for you may require only the emergency exit ones (I expect the federal government to babysit us into requiring them soon also). I would rather have to unlock my door to get out in case of a fire then get locked out when it is 10 degrees outside in my wet swimming suit after being in the hot tub. We have put a spare key outside but it is a pain in the ___ to fumble for the key in a wet swimming suit when it is 10 degrees outside because your "safety feature" door knob has locked you out AGAIN!
My door installer threw away the box and receipt for my Schlage door knob so I can't get the replacement certificate. I am so mad at them that I bought a Kwikset door knob and I am going to ship the Schlage set back to them with a long letter telling them they are idiots and are endangering lives with their "safety feature." I feel better now being able to tell someone else about my frustration. Remodeling is stressful enough without having this kind of crap to deal with! Thanks for listening.
We tried kwikset also and they did the same thing to us......
Old 12-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #10

Schlage entry door knobs

I switched the model numbers on my last post. The ones with the emergency exit feature are the F51. The F54 do not have the emergency exit feature.
jqsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
the Musigician

Schlage entry door knobs

I know what you mean BSH... I have all no-lock lever action handles and deadbolts.

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Schlage entry door knobs-dedbolt.jpg  
Old 12-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #12

Schlage entry door knobs

Take knob apart and remove the pin that connects the little knob that actually locks it, and don't use the knob lock again. Just deadbolt it. The knob lock isn't going to keep anyone out anyway. A lot of the new houses I work in nowadays use a doorknob/deadbolt combination and the knob part doesn't even lock.
sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
the Musigician

Schlage entry door knobs

Yup! (see above)
I like the levers too because if you have stuff in your hands, you can open the darn door with your elbow or leg! Po)

DM
Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #14
Tool Geek

Schlage entry door knobs

Being accidentally locked out in the Winter can be fatal.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=98797
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #15

Thumbs up

Schlage entry door knobs

Some Schlage door locks have an "Emergency Exit Feature" that allows the inside door knob to open the door, even when it is locked. This is suppose to allow for a faster exit because you don't have to unlock the door first. However, I find that I am more likely to lock myself out of the house because I can open the door with it still locked, then be caught outside a locked door without any keys.

When the door is unlocked, the inner square tube does not spin freely, allowing either knob to open the door.
When the door is locked, the inner square tube spins freely, allowing the inside knob to still open the door.
The key is to prevent the inner square tube from spinning freely at all.
This will prevent either knob from working unless the door is unlocked.

How to disable the Emergency Exit Feature of Schlage door locks:
Remove the outer knob from the door, then add 2 screws to it as follows:
Drill two 7/64" holes in opposite sides of the plate beside the square tube.
Drill just deep enough to go through the plate and internal ring attached to the square tube, but stop once you make contact with the inner lock mechanism.
Drill the holes with the knob unlocked, so the square tube is properly aligned in the non-free-spinning mode.
Insert two #6 x 3/8" machine screws into the plate and internal ring attached to the square tube, but not so far as to make contact with the inner lock mechanism.
Verify that the locking shaft turns freely before replacing the outer knob on the door.

Notes:
Shorter screws may be better, but I couldn't find any. Only about 1/2 of the threads are used, and I had plenty of clearance in the door with the other half of the screws still sticking out.
Don't use pointy or self-drilling screws, as the point will make contact with the inner lock mechanism before the threads grab.
I found that a 7/64" hole size to be just big enough to be self tapped with the #6 machine screw and remain tight.
The screw heads may touch the square tube, but the screw threads in the internal ring prevent it from spinning.
You could also try to weld, solder or use JB-Weld to secure the square tube in place, I didn't try these.
This may apply to other brands of locks, I don't know.
Attached Thumbnails
Schlage entry door knobs-schlage-door-lock.jpg  

Last edited by Tom H; 01-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Tom H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom H For This Useful Post:
m3rdpwr (07-06-2013), Msradell (01-03-2012)