DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Scaffolding for high ceiling?

18K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  md2lgyk 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a project that has me a bit perplexed. I have a 2-story home with a room that is open to the second story. The room is 18 x 28 but has various zig-zag pockets that make for a somewhat odd shape. I'm going to be installing a tongue-and-groove ceiling. The ceiling is vaulted. A staircase on one side of the room goes up to the second floor. The peak of the ceiling is about 21 feet high.

I need to scaffold this. I've been thinking about putting craft paper down on my wood floor and then laying 1/8" luan or some other thin 4x8 sheeting down to protect the floor. Then make stud walls to stand up -- which would rest on but not be attached to the floor. On top of the stud walls, I would put up plywood with other 2x4 supports to support the floor. Essentially, erect a temporary 2nd floor. I'd still have to use a step ladder on top of it to reach the peak.

Or....I could rent rolling scaffolding (a lot of it) for about a month as its going to be a time consuming project. A lot of cutting, fitting, trimming, etc. Have to put up furring first and shim the furring so that its all in the same plane before installing the tongue-and-groove.

What would you do on a project like this?

See less See more
#4 ·
Nobody knows more about this than me.
I'm in a wheelchair because my right hand man built a platform and I got on it and it collapsed.
Nobody but my own company to sue, so I live off workers comp.
Have a pro set it up for you. It's free with the rental.
Ladders on top of a scaffold is just asking for trouble.
No ceiling or house is worth it.
Spend the money and do it right.

#6 ·
To get this done I would want two people on the staging and one on the ground moving the staging and making the cuts.
Unsafe home made or rented staging your still stuck going up and down with no help.

Reactions: woodworkbykirk
#3 ·
I sure would not waste my time and risk my life on some home made system.
Just go rent or borrow 3, sets of staging and a set of wheels for it.
There is not need to fill the whole room with it just need enough that it can be stacked within 5' of the peck of the ceiling.

#5 ·
I own 3 sections of scaffolding now. On an 18 foot wide room, I'd be constantly going up and down the scaffolding to move the scaffolding. So I'm thinking I'd need 9 sets at a minimum. Then I still have odd shapes to get into where I can't use scaffolding....but I could stage it with something homemade and made to fit the room. That's sort of the conundrum. On the other hand, I'd hate to spend a week just building the scaffolding.

#8 ·
I'm with Titanmen on this, as I too spent 15 years in a wheelchair. not because of scaffolding, but running a hydraulic man lift under a steel beam 27' high and my back hitting the beam leaving me totally paralyzed on one side.

I had 26 different companies I could sue for lack of a $9.00 safety bar over control levers

rent all the scaffolding it takes to do safely!

#9 ·
I installed a t&g ceiling in my log house. The roof pitch is 12/12, and the ridge beam is 24 feet above the floor. So I basically have done what you want to do. RENT THE SCAFFOLD. And line up a couple of people to help you. Trust me, you don't want to be climbing up and down any more than you have to. Your helper(s) can cut boards and hand them up, and also move the scaffold when necessary. The whole project shouldn't take more than maybe a week, and possibly less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.