Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

Share |

scaffold on top of roof

I am needing to erect a scaffold on top of a first story addition in order to get to the second story, and then a bridge over to the chimney. How do I go about attaching the scaffolding to the roof and securing the end of the bridge to the roof by the chimney? Shingles are 15 years old but was hoping to not have to replace them for a few more years.

The first story roof has a pretty gentle slope and the scaffolding would need to be a minimum of 20' tall. The second story as a 12:12 slope and the chimney is roughly 8' from the roof edge

brian89gp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brian89gp For This Useful Post:
Lawry (08-24-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

scaffold on top of roof

pics would help a bunch, otherwise it will be hard to make recommendations.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Mod

scaffold on top of roof

What type of scaffolding? What exactly are you doing? How much weight will be up there?

As mentioned, post some pictures. How to attach a photo to a post
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #4

scaffold on top of roof

Pictures are attached.

Standard ladder frame scaffolding of some type. I have yet to buy it so options are open.

I am needing to get to the chimney to add some more brick to the top to make it taller. Total weight would be myself, mortar, and the brick.
Attached Thumbnails
scaffold on top of roof-1.jpg   scaffold on top of roof-2.jpg   scaffold on top of roof-3.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Mod

scaffold on top of roof

I don’t like your bridge idea. Roof jacks are all you need to get around on the roof.

Staging could be set up on that lower roof on top of a couple of long 2x12’s to distribute the weight but I’m not sure I see any advantage to that.

Essentially everything has to go up a ladder anyway. I’d just have an extension ladder with standoffs to get you on top of the roof and then roof jacks from there.

With a worthy helper running up and down the ladder to keep you up top things could go real easy.

Don’t forget the harness.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-22-2012 at 05:12 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #6

scaffold on top of roof

Would I put a toe board on the 2nd story roof, lay a ladder flat against the roof up to the chimney, and roof jacks around the chimney?

And something I have always wondered. What do you anchor your harness to before you climb up the roof some to install an anchor? Loop the rope around the chimeny?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Mod

scaffold on top of roof

The roof jacks are what you use to secure the toe boards. After the ladder (with standoff) is set up you would have your roof jacks with tow board there to stand on to off the ladder, then more jacks and boards as necessary to access your work.

The safety harness needs to be anchored to a framing member, follow the manufactures instructions for specific details.
Attached Images

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #8

scaffold on top of roof

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the chimney needs to be taller??

It shouldn't take more than a day to add however many bricks you want to add. If it were me, I'd forget about ladders and scaffolding and rent a boom lift.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #9

scaffold on top of roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the chimney needs to be taller??

It shouldn't take more than a day to add however many bricks you want to add. If it were me, I'd forget about ladders and scaffolding and rent a boom lift.
Fire code, 2' taller then any roof surface within 10'. I am putting in a wood burning fireplace and liner and the chimney is currently level or just below the ridge.

Boom lift, now there is an idea. I have a vent flange to put in up there too and roofers want $300 just due to the roof slope, the rental could probably pay for itself. A 61' boom lift at the local rental place is $280 per day.

Last edited by brian89gp; 08-23-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #10

scaffold on top of roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian89gp View Post
Fire code, 2' taller then any roof surface within 10'. I am putting in a wood burning fireplace and liner and the chimney is currently level or just below the ridge.

Boom lift, now there is an idea. I have a vent flange to put in up there too and roofers want $300 just due to the roof slope, the rental could probably pay for itself. A 61' boom lift at the local rental place is $280 per day.
Just be aware, there's usually a hefty delivery charge for equipment like that. I rented one for a couple of days while building my log house. In my case, it was around $250, but they had to bring it over 20 miles. Oddly, the charge for the all-terrain forklift I rented was less.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #11

scaffold on top of roof

I went and measured and the 61' boom isn't quite large enough. At the correct height the reach isn't far enough and vice versa.

Back to the roof jacks. My roof has the original wood plank sheeting (varying sizes) with slate, then asphault shingles nailed through the slate on top. Should I try and find a roof joist and nail the roof jacks to them with some 20d nails? I wouldn't think the normal roofing nails would be safe enough with the thickness of the roofing material I have to go through.

Any tips on finding a roof joist from on the roof?
Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Mod

scaffold on top of roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian89gp View Post
61' boom isn't quite large enough.
Are you sure about that??? That's a big machine. If you haven't yet, go to the manufactures website and look at the range of motion spec sheet.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #13

scaffold on top of roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Are you sure about that??? That's a big machine. If you haven't yet, go to the manufactures website and look at the range of motion spec sheet.
Yeah, something doesn't add up. I rented a 40-ft machine, and that was plenty. And I also have a 12/12 roof. Does the one you looked into have a straight boom, or is it articulated?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #14

scaffold on top of roof

Pretty sure, it would be awful close if it did work. My back is to a garage and a concrete wall in those pictures so there is very little room.

Bil-jax 5533a.

The gutter is 25' off the ground, top of the chimney is 40'. Chimney is 15' from the edges of the house. Since my driveway is not wide enough (house on one side, stone wall on the other) for the 12'x12' footprint I would have to do from behind the house on a diagnol from the corner. Horizontal reach to centerline is just over 30' from that point.

The range of motion chart has it right at 35/40' lift @ 30' reach, so really close to the max. I will draw it out to scale this weekend and double check. Last thing I want to do is rent it and have it be a couple feet short or something.
Attached Thumbnails
scaffold on top of roof-sky.jpg  
Old 08-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
Mod

scaffold on top of roof

Even if it was just a couple of feet short it still gets you and your stuff up there.

Step off of that onto a toe board and you’re still way ahead.