Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #1

Share |

Scaffold or scissor lift rental

Has anyone rented scaffolding or a scissor lift for working on a two story home? I need to reglaze windows on my second floor and I am not sure about doing this project on a ladder. Just wondering where you found rentals for residential use and expected cost.
bryanp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
JOATMON

If you have a 2-story home....buying a couple of sections of scaffold is worth the money.

I'm doing a 2-story addition to my house...since I'm doing most of the work....renting enough scaffolding was not a good choice....so I bought it....the way I figure it...after about 3 months I'm ahead....as of right now, I'm at 7 months with the scaffolding being up.

Go buy it....

I would suggest the 'walk under' style. You buy the end sections and then pic what length you want....I have a combination of 7 and 10'....the distance is just a simple mater of the cross braces.

When I'm done with my addition....I'm selling all of it.....EXCEPT for two sections.....so I can do any needed maint in the future.

Now...with that said....let me stress that once you go over 1 floor....tip over is an issue....make sure you can attach the sections to your house or find some way that they won't tip over.....it's a long way down.

BTW...if you want to know what it looks like...click on the link in my signature.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #3

I just can not imagine a case where ether would make since for a simple glazing job.
The time involved to set up, level it and move it everytime could be better used glazing.
A ladder with a stand off, or two ladders with ladder jacks and a small walk board is what I've used.

Got a picture of the home so I can see if there's anything tricky about it?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #4

Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Scaffold or scissor lift rental-image-4130527136.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #5

Scissor lift won't get close enough with those gardens. Also you would need an all terrain version. Most lifts are designed for smooth solid level surfaces.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #6

If you bought this home to live in and not just rent out, why not go with replacement windows and get rid of those storm windows so you never have to deal with this again.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #7

No we will be in this house probably 5-7 years at least. My initial idea was reglaze and then replace if we stay long term. Maybe ill try one on a ladder and if its an awful experience for me consider replacing a few at a time on the second level and just reglaze the bottom floor for now. I was hoping glazing would just be a summer project I could complete and we'd get 10 more years at least out of current windows. Internally they are in good condition and don't really leak with proper weather stripping.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #8

Ladder with a ladder stand off and use a 300 LB rated one. Simple easy squeeze
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Hi Brian, what exactly are you going to do? I see that you have six over six lights in these windows. Are they individual sash? The reason I ask is that you can remove the sash on most windows, then work on them on the ground. The other work can be done off a decent ladder, as Joe says. just do not over reach, and always keep your weight straight down. If this job were mine, I would caulk the lights with a high quality Urethane Sealant, and tool as I discussed in a post under paint. You will need push pins.

Scissor lifts only work on dead level ground. Scaffolding is not a bad idea if you cannot remove the sash, just get the flat plates for the bottom and tie it in to the house.

Ill leave the paint recommendations up to the painters, but BM, and SW seem like the clear winners from previous posts. They will tell you the exact right thing to use.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #10

I have bronze tracks so removing the sash seemed problematic.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

A tow behind lift may work out for this.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
Mod

Looks like ladder work to me but if that's out then the tow behind JB mentioned would be the way to go..and you could get the gutters cleaned out real easy while you're at it.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Roofmaster

If you look at your tracks, and you see recessed wells about 3/4 of an inch. two per side, these are springs, that allow you to push the tracks in toward the trimmers. This allows you to remove the sash. You may have to run a utility knife through the paint if they have been painted in. This takes some doing, so a screw jack made of a 2 x 4 and a carriage bolt works well for this. Do you have a picture?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #14

Here is my window track with the bronze tracks. So I should see a section I can push in?
Attached Thumbnails
Scaffold or scissor lift rental-image-4218297231.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Roofmaster

Cut the paint seal, Pop off the stop with your trusty wonderbar, take out the sash. Buy a pair of nippers and pull the finishing nails through. do not try to back them out, or just replace the stop when you are done, its fairly cheap.

I have to agree with Joe here though, you have dollar signs flying out of those single pane windows. You could probably work out a window replacement deal with your energy provider where you pay them the difference in your energy bill each month. Check it out.

Last edited by jagans; 04-15-2013 at 05:59 PM.