DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Saw this infomercial today

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  TrafficCopSmith 
#1 ·
about the Rockwell brand "jawhorse". Since this was my 1st viewing of the infomercial I was impressed with the item but wanted to hear from the forum.
Does anyone here have any input worth sharing about this item? I want to hear the good as well as the bad before investing any money into something that might be just a gadget, albeit an expensive gadget.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

#6 · (Edited)
I don't think all infomercial stuff is junk. Companies can do half hour infomercials and have some time to explain the products cheaper than they can plunk a 20 second spot into a network television show like Wagner does and there stuff is total crap.

With all channels having to fill the airwaves 24/7 now they have to fill the time with something. Sure there are the hucksters but I would not ignore products unless they seem to good to be true.

I am not going to race out and get the blender thing that turns ice into snow or a set of anything for the kitchen for $20 that comes with another one or set if I order within minutes though. I use a metal polish that I would not have spotted if it had not been infomercialed when bored one Saturday morning. It is great stuff.

I have had a Fein multi tool I really like for years and long before they started the infomercial approach. I think that Rockwell sawhorse clamping thing, if you bought the attachment to deal with sheets of things with it, could come in handy if it really is metal and as stable as they make it look.

I have clients that bought the multi-ladder systems as advertised on television and they seem alright to me and probably not a bad idea for a homeowner that does not want to own many. The ones my clients have are extremely heavy though and one does have to put some faith into the pins.

I would say to keep an eye on the price point and make sure it comes with a trial period. If you must shop at a box store, as suggested in a prior post see if they carry the product. It will obviously be easier there even if the product specifies it needs to be returned to the manufacturer. Attorney Generals in most US states will not go for that idea. Save at least the basic packaging for a time though.

If you buy online or over the air via the number, obviously use a debit or credit card that will let you cancel the transaction if you hit a snag.

Give it try if it looks like something that could be helpful to you! Let us know how it works out for you?

#7 ·
Two weeks ago there was an actual set-up in a local Lowe's store demonstrating the "Jawhorse" with the attachments for holding long stock. The attachments were parts made to clamp together 2x4's to make longer supports, but a neat deal. I watched the demo for a few minutes and of course the rep made everything look sooo easy. My impression is that it is not a bad idea, or a bad tool, it's just that I don't think I need one. At least not right now. Interesting note on infomercials: I saw one the other day advertising a new "revolutionary" type of oven which uses some space age technology to cook with. The thing that caught my eye, and ear, was that your could take a steak from freezer to table in only 30 minutes with this neat device. I immediately went in and asked the wife-lady if we could have steaks for dinner ( I knew the were frozen). Her reply was Yes, but they're frozen and I'll have to thaw them before cooking. Approximately 18 minutes later dinner was on the table. Steaks, sweet potatoes, and small salad. Under 30 minutes for her with her good old cooking skills, and no space-age technology. Maybe I need to film an infomercial :) David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.