Sandwiched Beams On Notched Posts For Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sandwiched beams on notched posts for deck

I have a walk-out and plan on putting a 10 foot high deck off the front of my house over the garage. Because I want as few posts as possible so I have room to drive into the garage this is what i am planning. 36' wide by 16' long spaced 16" on center with 2x10 joists cantilevered 4 feet. Plan on placing 3 6x6 16 foot posts 4 feet in cemented holes so there is a 18' span between posts. For the beam, it will be a 2x12 sandwiched on each side of the posts resting on a notch and bolted through with stud/nuts. They will be butted up to each other on the posts. Any concerns with this plan?
And no i don't have a permit, one is not required where i live at this resort property on an indian reserve.

Advertisement

billybarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd rest the posts on hardware, off the concrete footings as opposed to incasing them in concrete in the ground.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Gary
Old 05-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I agree that your posts should not contact the concrete as concrete wicks moisture. Check out Simpson Strong Ties for various post to footing connectors.

In order to knotch out the posts, make sure the posts are 6x6 posts as 4x4's are not wide enough. Also, you may not have permits required, but safety is safety. Where I live, a cantilever can not be more than 2 feet when using 2x10's. Imagine 10 people, each 200lbs, standing along the cantilevered railing. (2000 lbs on a 4 foot overhang). It may not break off, but it creates a lot of upwards force on the ledger board fasteners (the beam acts like the pivot on a teater-totter) and I've seen them fail from this.

Good luck. Build Smart! Build Safe!
dpach is offline   Reply With Quote