Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #1

Share |

Sanding marks.......will they show

I have been sanding my drywall taping, and I have noticed some very faint sanding marks while sanding.

They are very very light, but when I touch them it feels smooth. Will they show up when I paint?

I have been doing it very lightly and I am using a 150 sandpaper for drywall.

I also have tried wet sanding.

Thanks

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Another DIY Zombie

I have seen it both ways. I have had drywall that was so smooth to the touch, then show up with lines, marks etc. after the paint was on.

javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

If you're using "lightweight" compound, that can be part of the problem. Though easier to use for the DIY'er, it nicks and scratches much easier than regular redi-mix compound. Drywall "screen" sandpaper is notorious for leaving scratches. I only use it when I use a sander on a vacuum attachment and have gone to 220 grit to eliminate the problem. You can try "dulling" your 150 grit some before using it on the drywall. Rub two pices together or "sand" a bit on a rough surface to wear the paper down a bit. As to whether the scratches will show, it depends. The lighting, type of paint, nap length of the roller,etc. can all make a difference.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan View Post
I have seen it both ways. I have had drywall that was so smooth to the touch, then show up with lines, marks etc. after the paint was on.

Thanks, I think I will prime one of the walls before I continue just to see if I can see the marks, as this is the first time that I am doing this, and I don't know what will show and what won't.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
If you're using "lightweight" compound, that can be part of the problem. Though easier to use for the DIY'er, it nicks and scratches much easier than regular redi-mix compound. Drywall "screen" sandpaper is notorious for leaving scratches. I only use it when I use a sander on a vacuum attachment and have gone to 220 grit to eliminate the problem. You can try "dulling" your 150 grit some before using it on the drywall. Rub two pices together or "sand" a bit on a rough surface to wear the paper down a bit. As to whether the scratches will show, it depends. The lighting, type of paint, nap length of the roller,etc. can all make a difference.
Thanks for your help.

I am using the all purpose compound that I thin down with water. I have applied 4 coats, and it worked really well for me. But you are correct that every little thing shows.

What I am doing is using a wet sanding sponge, and that seems to make the scratches disappear. I just wanted to avoid doing things twice.

OK, here is a really stupid question; do you sand horizontal and vertical or in a circular motion?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #6

I normally wipe it down with a damp sponge after I do my final sanding to get it real smooth and feathered well and I sand with the tape not against it another word vert sand vert horizontal sand horizontal
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact View Post
I normally wipe it down with a damp sponge after I do my final sanding to get it real smooth and feathered well and I sand with the tape not against it another word vert sand vert horizontal sand horizontal
Me too. The sponge idea works very well for hiding rookie mistakes.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Sand horizontal on horizontal joints and vertical on vertical. You can also use a regular, fine grit, sanding sponge (not wet) to put the finishing touches. Does a better job getting into the corners than a sanding pole. Lightly go back over any areas on your "flats" too to eliminate scratches you see. There you might use a circular motion. Another trick is when you put your paper on the sanding head, take a razor knife and cut the excess from the edges rather than fold it over. When you sand the inside corners, you end up cutting a "groove" into the opposite corner if you leave the excess on. Use your sponge for the final sand to get into the very corner.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Fine marks can often be removed or "erased" by using a sanding sponge (drywall sanding sponge on the fine side), and sanding lightly, in a circular motion.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #10

Thanks all you wonderful folks!

I will definitely try all the tips, and hopefully my marks won't show as much.
My girls I'm sure won't care. All they want is for me to hurry and get it done.
I just want to see how good I can get it.