Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sand and lime

I have recently started a brick laying course im 15 its an aternative to school as ild rather lay bricks than school work, we use sand and lime so when we have finished a wall we can take it down and reuse the mix,i was thinking of useing my double garage for the extra practise.but how much sand and lime would i need and how meny bricks roughly. and a rough price please ?and is that all i will need to crack on and start laying ???

thanks for your help

ramraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 562

sand and lime

Ramraid, you will probably not want to use a lime mortar on your garage. It can be done, certainly, but it is not the best option, nor is it significantly cheaper than a masonry cement mortar. No one here will be able to help you with cost on your garage.

To determine cost, you will need to get more information:

Total square footage of masonry.
Price of particular brick used.
Cement and sand price in your area.
Cost of flashings/weeps/accessories in your area.

Once you have that info, post it here, and I will help run you through estimating the total cost of what you want to do.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #3

sand and lime

sorry u miss understood
im gonna use the space in my garage to practise building a few walls cuple of feet by few feet etc
so sand and lime is that ok to use for that and

can i reuses this when its dried out ?

how much is sand and lime ?

how much of it would i need?

and how meny bricks would i need?

all just for practise thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 562

sand and lime

I got you.

No you won't be able to reuse the mortar, but you can reuse the bricks.

You should buy about 300 brick, ask around and you can probably get them free. You should lay modular and king size, if possible.

Lime and sand are pretty cheap, maybe 5-6 bucks for a 50# bag, and a couple dollars for the sand (1-lime to 3 sand by volume).
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,212

sand and lime

Ramraid, Go for it. I really like your initiative.

Have you considered dropping by a nearby masonry supply house? They might let you clean up a broken lime bag or two for free and have some short lots of leftover brick. While you're there ask them for names of masons that might be agreeable to have you help in exchange for training. They may have insurance/age restrictions but if you find the right mason he may be able to work something out.

It seems like the least expensive brick is around 35 cents per brick but like Tscarborough said you should be able to find someone who wants to get rid of a hundred extra bricks.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

sand and lime

if you want to be a brickie all your life, good luck. sooner or later, you'll probably develop some aches, pains, & possibly a bad back - then where are you ?

schooling's to educate - granted, its not easy w/what's available today for teachers as most of them can't construct a good sentence or pass a math test let alone their teaching certificate testing.

you condemn yourself to a laborer's life w/o education. its been my honor to work with many men who've not had a proper, structured education,,, some started their own businesses & billed $1,000,000+ annually,,, for all their success, to the man, they all wished they had the education while they were young.

please rethink school - spelling & good language arts are not just fluff in today's world.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #7

sand and lime

thanks thats been alot of help

is there no sort of mortar mix i use that when its dried i can mix it with water again and i have a mix again?
so if i hav 300 bricks one bag of lime and then how much soft sand would i need roughly 2 lay the hole 300 bricks ?
and can i just get that from most hardware shops?
will the sand and lime mix dry rock solid when i lay a brick then ?

thanks alot
Old 06-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

sand and lime

we regularly recycle conc - mortar's no different EXCEPT the machinery to do it makes the cost exorbitant compared to beginning w/fresh mtls

the information you seek's already being taught in your classes,,, pay attn & ask questions there.

there's a cure for ignorance ( education ) but no fix for stupid.

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote