Same Old Question Basement Insulation Advice - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Same old Question basement Insulation advice

Hi Everybody,

I need your advice in deciding whether or not to keep exisitng insulation

my house was built in 1999, I have a basement with Gaurdian Insulation GLF11 R-11 Perforated fiberglass Rolls 48"X78" on the walls, But no stud frames

Now I am planning to finish the basement, Should I put the stud frame and fill any empty space with another kind of insulation OR remove existing insulation and put stud frames and go for R-13 insulation between the studs?

I am kind of confused, I am reading lot of articles from building science consoritum and could not decide on anything

I live in North NJ, I am yet to get the permit.

Appreciate your help in advicing

Thanks!

Advertisement

rp92285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Well, ideally, you'd take off the existing insulation and put rigid polystyrene sheets over the exterior walls to create a thermal break, put up a stud wall, fill that with fibreglass then a vapour barrier, then drywall. But your issue is what is touching the concrete and if that can get wet; so sometimes fibreglass against concrete isn't all that good.

If it is really dry back there (and few walls are) then you could build the wall, and fill it with fibreglass...but that moisture issue-leading-to-mould -possibilities is a concern.

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

http://www.swinter.com/services/docu...Insulation.pdf

Be safe, Gary