Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Share |

Sagging Scissor trusses

Hi everyone, I'm installing concrete tiles on my roof. The roof isn't loaded yet and the middle scissor trusses are sagging 1-2". Also the house seems the lean westwardly about the distance. It is still in the frame stage ,meaning there is no sheetrock or anything but plywood on the outside. My load bearing walls in the same area look to be sagging also. I have been building slowly as my budget allows, so some exposure to the elements have occurred. Can someone please offer some remedies?

Last edited by EC1970; 01-08-2011 at 10:11 AM.
EC1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Experienced

Sagging Scissor trusses

Might want to get an engineer or a building contractor out to look at that one, sounds like some serious problems with the foundation if it is truely leaning to one side.

Are the supporting walls that the trusses are sitting on level?

EC1970 (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Sagging Scissor trusses

Quote:
Can someone please offer some remedies?
Ayuh,... You've gotta figure out Exactly Where it's failing, before a plan to fix it can be formulated...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #4

Sagging Scissor trusses

Thank you for ressponing. I have had a structural engineer come and okay the foundation and do some gusset repair to some trusses. He said the rest looked fine. Is there anything I can do?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #5

Sagging Scissor trusses

I'm very new to this. Don't know where to look. The supporting walls seem to be level but the interior surely aren't. ???????
Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
KemoSabe

Sagging Scissor trusses

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC1970 View Post
I'm very new to this. Don't know where to look. The supporting walls seem to be level but the interior surely aren't. ???????
You can't blame the failing structure for bad framing, you blame the bad framing for the failing structure.

I'd like to see pictures of the entire structure, as well as more detailed photos of problem areas.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loneframer For This Useful Post:
EC1970 (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Experienced

Sagging Scissor trusses

Pictures would be very helpful in this forum
Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #8

Sagging Scissor trusses

Not real savvy with technology but I will try my best to send pictures.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Framing Contractor

Sagging Scissor trusses

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm installing concrete tiles on my roof. The roof isn't loaded yet and the middle scissor trusses are sagging 1-2". Also the house seems the lean westwardly about the distance. It is still in the frame stage ,meaning there is no sheetrock or anything but plywood on the outside. My load bearing walls in the same area look to be sagging also. I have been building slowly as my budget allows, so some exposure to the elements have occurred. Can someone please offer some remedies?
Sagging 1-2" is the biggest RED FLAG and the job should be stopped. Have you put a level on the walls to see if the are plumb?

Quote:
I have had a structural engineer come and okay the foundation and do some gusset repair to some trusses.
Is he the one that designed the trusses? If not who drew you plans and designed them?

Where are the trusses sagging, in the middle, on the outside wall?

Quote:
The supporting walls seem to be level but the interior surely aren't. ???????
Again, put a level and check for plumb. The framer should stop framing right now until all of this is corrected or it sounds like your trusses can fall down like dominoes with the rest of your house.

Asking you about truss bracing won't matter because you will not know if they are properly braced. You have to have whomever designed the trusses come in and the building inspector come in to make sure this house is safe.
EC1970 (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #10

Sagging Scissor trusses

so you know in case you don't, plumb is a vertical measurement- if your wall is leaning it is out of plumb. Level is horizontal, if your wall is sagging it is out of level. Are these site built truss or fabricated in a truss factory? If factory built get fabricator out there if all bearing walls are plumb and level
EC1970 (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #11

Sagging Scissor trusses

Thank you for your concern. We have stopped the job and I will call the inspector Monday morning. Maybe he will catch something the engineer didn't. The trusses are sagging in the middle but only the scissor trusses. Incidentally, all the scissor trusses are doubled up. All trusses are factory made and all 2x4 constructed. The first 8 trusses are braced from the outside wall on both sides. The outside walls seem to be level. I used a 4' level.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
KemoSabe

Sagging Scissor trusses

Are you sure the scissor trusses are sagging? Is it possible that they were not built properly to begin with and don't match the adjacent trusses?

Please elaborate on the conditions that define "sagging".
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #13

Sagging Scissor trusses

Quote:
Thank you for your concern. We have stopped the job and I will call the inspector Monday morning. Maybe he will catch something the engineer didn't. The trusses are sagging in the middle but only the scissor trusses. Incidentally, all the scissor trusses are doubled up. All trusses are factory made and all 2x4 constructed. The first 8 trusses are braced from the outside wall on both sides. The outside walls seem to be level. I used a 4' level.
Wow...You must have one heck of a span or pitch to have 2x Ply trusses.

I am "Happy" to hear you stopped!!

Be careful!!!!...Too many people get injured or worse every year from not bracing walls and especialy "Trusses"

When trusses go down..It will happen in less than 1-3 seconds.
Yes..That fast.

Good Luck!! We are all wishing you the "BEST" I sure hope this is an easy Fix!! Things will get Better!! Your New Home will get built!!

Mike - IHICH2011 - I Hope I helped!
IHICH2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #14

Sagging Scissor trusses

I see a lot of red flags in this project given the info you provided. Are framers doing this project? How come you spotted the "sag" and not them.
Why the added gussets? Were these trusses designed for concrete tiles?

The "sagging" could be from the framers not aligning the top cord to a string line. Run a string line across the top/middle and see what happens. Without seeing the truss layout drawing,those scissor trusses may have been installed wrong.
Both gable trusses need to be dead nuts plumb. If the framers pulled layout measurements off an out of plumb gable, it'll look like its leaning because it is.
A 4ft. level won't do it. You could be trying to plumb off a stud with a bow in it.

How high is the top of the roof? Can you or the framer shoot a laser down the gable wall? Plumb bob?
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Framing Contractor

Sagging Scissor trusses

Quote:
Thank you for your concern. We have stopped the job and I will call the inspector Monday morning.
What happened on Monday with the inspector?