Sagging Roof - Need Advice - Cracked Rafter (pictures Included) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

sagging roof - Need Advice - Cracked Rafter (pictures included)

I have 11/12 roof and I seen a crack in one of the 2x4 rafters. I need to know how to check the other rafters and how to fix them I want to insulate and finish the space. See my pics

Edit: 2x6 floor joists.
Attached Thumbnails
sagging roof - Need Advice - Cracked Rafter (pictures included)-forumrunner_20120821_170229.jpg   sagging roof - Need Advice - Cracked Rafter (pictures included)-forumrunner_20120821_170326.jpg   sagging roof - Need Advice - Cracked Rafter (pictures included)-forumrunner_20120821_170501.jpg   sagging roof - Need Advice - Cracked Rafter (pictures included)-forumrunner_20120821_170551.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by qc_riderfan87; 08-21-2012 at 07:11 PM.
qc_riderfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I would use wood glue and screws to close that gap and then sister in another member along side the broken one. At least 2 feet past the crack on each side. Also glued and nailed or screwed.

Advertisement

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

finish the space for? what will the space be used for?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 712

Everyone thinks, I have all this empty space that's not being used lets make some rooms in the attic.
Way more to it then that.

2 x 6 floor joist are only good for about a 9'2" span with joist spacing of 12". I'd bet your spans and joist spacing are way more then that.

The fact you have 2 X 4's for rafters opens up a whole can of worm trying to vent and insulate the room.

Almost all the ansewer to your questions on this one are going to need to know where you live to give the right info.
If you go back and add your location to your profile it would be a but help.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, I really do appreciate it, being a novice, and over ambitious.

Evstarr, thanks Im keeping this suggestion in mind.

Master bedroom or Rec room

I understand that 2x6s aren't good enough, is there a better idea then sistering each joist with new 2x6s?

I understand that 2x4 roofs are difficult to insulate properly, I've been thinking a lot about this, i think it is workable . Can you suggest how to do it. There's already a staircase leading up. I live in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada but the house is 30 min from here. Because of the pitch of the roof, I think not much snow will accumulate on the roof.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 712

How it gets done will be determend by the center to center distance and the free spans.
There's several hundred post on this site and any DIY site on how to insulate attic spaces. Go to the area where it says search and just type in attic.
If you key word search on the net "Canadian Insulation Zones" there's maps that will show how much insulation your going to need.
All this work is going to require permits.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #7

OK, I understand I need to insulate it well. But, I think making sure the roof is sound, first, is more important. Since we're getting into a new different discussion about venting and insulating a 2x4 roof, I'll just tell you what I thought might work: using 1x lumber on the insides of the rafter bay and 1/4'' wood to create a channel or use baffles then flash sprayfoam, frame my rooms and have an access panel to blow insulation at the top and 2 more accesses for the sides on the outside of 5' knee walls.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #8

640 sq. ft (22.5 x 28.5')
Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

I don't think anyone is getting into a "how to insulate a 2x4 roof" lmao
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,032

I understood your question in regards to the insulation. I asked about the use of the room (bear with me I'm not up on the National Building Code) but most building codes have a requirement for an Emergency Egress and Rescue Opening for bedrooms. This is a certain sized window so that firefighters can make entry in an attempt to rescue trapped occupants. Sometimes people are not aware of other code requirements when planning a project, or asking a particular question. I try to answer questions to the best of my ability, but also to ask questions that may pertain to other aspects of the project. Make sense?

Insulation application can be based upon whether you have soffit and ridge vents or not. If you have a vented attic space (soffit & ridge vents) I have used insulation baffles installed from the soffit to the ridge vent and installed closed cell spray foam insulation in the rafter bays. The insulation baffle allows ventilation under the roof deck and provides approximately an R-15 for your existing 2x4 rafters. Of course you can pad out the rafters and apply more insulation. You could also apply rigid insulation board to the existing roof deck (sheathing) to increase your insulation. Of course this would require removal of the shingles/roof covering to accomplish. If you current roofing is in good condition this would be a costly endeavor, if it needs replacing now would be the time to do it.

I would highly recommend checking with your local building department to determine exactly what the code requirements are for the type of project your are planning. Again, I have never done work in Canada and I am not familiar with the National Building Code so some of my advise may be incorrect for your code requirements. Here is a link for Building Standards in Regina

http://www.cpsp.gov.sk.ca/Building-Standards

Hope this helps ....

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #11

will spray foaming make it air tight?

Advertisement