Sagging Main I Beam In A 70 Year Old House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sagging main i beam in a 70 year old house

I am considering the purchase of a 70 year old house that has a 6 inch sag through the center of this home. it has an unfinished basement and i can readily access the i beam. how hard is it to jack this i beam up and raise the floor to where it should be? is there other things that need to be checked first? what will this do to the structual integretity of the rest of the house? and most important can i do this, and for how much? the house is 27x40 A frame. thanxs for the help!

Advertisement

southern ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

We are going to need pictures of this one----I didn't know A frames were made that long ago---

An A frame has the majority of the structures weight on the foundation---You may have a lift that is possible for a DIY--need pictures---Mike---

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
southern ohio (10-11-2010)
Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

how is there a 6" sag? There are no intermediate supports between the end supports (ie foundation pockets)?

Pictures would help.
wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wnabcptrNH For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

This is a very difficult question to even begin to approach over the internet. Even with pictures. I recommend you hire a local structural engineer, or at a minimum an experienced building inspector, who can personally inspect the house, determine the cause of the sag, and offer an opinion based on a hands on inspection as to the feasibility and cost of the repair.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #5

I agree with Daniel EXCEPT that sometimes a visit to the internet can give a good enough answer to skip purchasing the property before hiring the expert. Six inch sag? If the deal survives your internet research, I would definitely have an engineer check it out in person before committing to buy.
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steveel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
STRUCTURAL

Rewards Points: 25

YES, YOU CAN! (HOPE AND CHANGE)

If the existing floor beam is in otherwise good condition you can jack it up and add a couple of posts in the basement to serve as intermediate supports. Make sure that you build footings too for the new posts, resting on well compacted soil.

If the beam is not in good condition or you cannot add posts then you have to jack up the existing floor joists on both sides of this beam, remove the old beam and replace it with a steel beam designed by a local engineer who should also provide you with details how to connect the joists to the steel beam.

In the worst case scenario you may have to spend $1000 to $2000. Try buying the steel beam from a Steel Service Center, not a Steel Fabricator, shop around and you'll save a bundle.

If it is done right it should not affect the structural integrity of the framing.

http://www.chmconsultants.com/Light-...lServices.html

Last edited by ENGINEER10; 10-11-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: typos
ENGINEER10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ENGINEER10 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

Take a picture of the floor beam from 12' away so we can see the steel beam sag. Sounds as if the metal post on the concrete footing has settled into the dirt below. Is the concrete slab poured around the post base or is the post base standing higher than the slab? Another picture of the post base would help....

Gary
Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #8

I have jacked up houses before but I am talking 2-3 inches not 6. The issue you will run into if there are finishes above this sag you risk cracking and breaking things (if they havent already that is).

Pictures would help and it couldnt hurt to call a couple civil engineers and ask for quotes for them to come take a look at it. Personally I wouldnt do that because I would probably just jack up the house, size up a beam, install it, and put in new supplementary supports but I have done this before.

Advertisement

wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wnabcptrNH For This Useful Post: