Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

Share |

Sagging floor

Hey I am new to the site and I have recently purchased a 3100 square foot 2 story house located in central Alberta. I noticed I have a low spot on the main floor and it has created a low spot on the 2nd floor as well. I am hoping to level this problem out and bring the floor back to grade. What is the best method to do this??
Northern Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Experienced

Sagging floor

Welcome Northern Buck to the best DIY'r site on the net

I think that you need to first identify why the structure is deflecting and how much deflection you are dealing with.

Pictures of the supporting structure would help the forum help you.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

Sagging floor

When the inspector looked at the sag ( i just bought the house ) He felt the sag was from initial settling of the foundation and he figured a telepost would solve the problem it is in the center of the house along the bearing wall and looks to be 1-2" low in the center
Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Sagging floor

The house was built in 1980 fir 12 x 12 floor trusses
Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Sagging floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Buck View Post
When the inspector looked at the sag ( i just bought the house ) He felt the sag was from initial settling of the foundation and he figured a telepost would solve the problem it is in the center of the house along the bearing wall and looks to be 1-2" low in the center
Ayuh,... So get under it, 'n Jack it Up....
Then add whatever blocking/ posts are necessary to hold it in-place...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #6

Sagging floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Buck View Post
Hey I am new to the site and I have recently purchased a 3100 square foot 2 story house located in central Alberta. I noticed I have a low spot on the main floor and it has created a low spot on the 2nd floor as well. I am hoping to level this problem out and bring the floor back to grade. What is the best method to do this??
It sounds like the trusses were under sized. The inspectors observation is idiotic as the sag is in the middle of the structure.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Sagging floor

Assuming you do have floor trusses, you cannot simply add a floor jack to the middle of the trusses. Trusses are designed to be supported on the ends, typically not in the middle at all. Jacking up the middle of a truss and applying a point load there will create a completely different loading pattern than the truss was designed to handle, and should be evaluated by the manufacturer of the truss before you undertake such an adventure. Think of it like jacking up your car, there are specific lift points designed for jacking, using a floor jack under the wrong part of your car may lead to an unfortunate experience, same goes for jacking up a truss.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
fungku (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Contractor - Renovations

Sagging floor

photos of the "trusses" and supporting walls would help.
.::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote