Sagging Ceilings - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
jkchapp2

Rewards Points: 10

Sagging ceilings

We live in a Bungalow built in 1927. The ceilings in the Living Room and Dining Room both sag. The front half of the ceiling has attic above it with tongue and groove flooring. The other half is Bedrooms. We had water leakage from the roof and will be replacing the plaster ceiling in the Living Room. This I know is a great opportunity to fix the sag in the Living Room, but I am not sure what the best solution would be. Repairs start in less than a month. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!
Thank You!

Advertisement

jkchapp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Sagging ceilings

Back in those days framers didn't care about crown up as "the plaster work will get it fixed. Add time and joist sag under load and you get a bow in your ceiling.

Plan to find lowest point / string the joist to find level / sister 2x6 to all the joists to create a flat new ceiling plane. You can go back with drywall and texure to look like the plaster in the rest of your house.

Plaster removal is very dusty. Know that asbestos was added to plaster to increase working time. Be sure the rest of the house is seal off (don't forget any air ducts).

Advertisement

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Rewards Points: 250

Sagging ceilings

I would have it tested before I did any demo work of the existing plaster.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sagging ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I would have it tested before I did any demo work of the existing plaster.
Agreed....
Old 08-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
jkchapp2

Sagging ceilings

I assume all of you are referring to the asbestos; for the inspection. I live in a small town, check yellow pages for a home inspector or is there another reference to that particular kind of inspector?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
jkchapp2

Sagging ceilings

Another question that was brought to my attention...I plan on installing a 1/2 bath using the original closet, then adding a closet over where the sagging ceiling is now. Will the suggested repair be strong enough so I will not end up with a near future sag in the ceiling? By the way, the size of the Living Room is 16' X 16', Dining Room 16' X 18', original joists go East to West, sag starts on the West wall and droops to center of room where the west wall of the upstairs starts.

Advertisement