Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

saggin french door

Last year I bought a Reliabilt french door from Lowes and let one of thier contractors install it..At first the door never sealed against the weatherstriping like it should . I could even see day light. Later the contractor returned and corrected the problem (what ever it was). Now the door that opens willn't even lock or catch in the strike plate cause the other door has sagged in the middle. This doors clearence is perfect at the corner with the hindges, but as you look toward the other side the clearence has increased to almost twice the space of the door. I don't see any special adjustment screws on the hindges. The door that opens sets perfectly and doesn't sag. Any ideas on how I can get this strighten out. Lowes says they can't help me cause it is out of warrenty...so I'm on my own. thanks

Last edited by grob1492; 11-20-2007 at 06:42 PM.
grob1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #2

saggin french door

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you are saying that the passive door (the one that stays closed most of the time) is sagging. Perhaps the gap above that door (on top of the door) is larger in the middle than it is near the hinge. And you say the gap near the hinge is larger than it should be. That would probably also mean that as the doors come closed, the operating door hits on the top of the passive door?

At any rate, it sounds like you might want to open up that passive non-operating door and remove one of the short screws in the jamb (one of the ones closest to the weatherstripping.) Then replace it with a long 3" screw that will secure the door frame to the studs. The tighter you make this screw, the more it will pull that door up.

It could also be that the casing could be removed, and a larger shim could be placed behind the bottom hinge on the passive door. this would also raise it slightly at the latch.

I suspect that maybe the entire passive hinge is dropping, causing the problem. Opening both doors and checking the length of the threshold would tell you if that's the case. It should be level and straight, not bowed in the middle. Shimming the door up higher on the low side (probably under the passive hinge side) would likely help, but that's a little more involved because of interior trim, exterior trim, and the fact that it's likely glued or caulked to the subfloor.

Just a few ideas to try. 3" screws in the top hinge are a cheap and easy fix to try, so maybe you could start there.

XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #3

saggin french door

most old carpenter folks would say your doors need tuning.. Pack hinges reset strike plate etc... So many variables... can you post a bunch of pics?

Check door & door with t-astrigal for for square.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote