Is It SAFE Not To Use Deck Post Concrete Anchors? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is it SAFE not to use deck post concrete anchors?

Is it SAFE to just place the bottom of the posts on concrete footings WITHOUT using any deck post concrete anchors that secure the bottom of the posts to the footings? I will have so much room for post adjustments by not using any anchors and the code doesn’t talk about them. However, could a strong wind lift the deck up (or will the deck be just too heavy)?

My deck is a free standing deck (i.e., 20’ x 14’ platform over four 8” x 8” x 6’ posts) and will have cross bracing. The excavated holes for my deck footings are 32 inches deep (24” x 24” in area). I am going to have 2 inches of gravel in each hole and the code requires 10 inches of concrete. That would leave 20 inches from the top of the concrete footing to the ground level. I was going to place the deck post in ground on top of the footing and fill the remainder with dirt/gravel.

Thanks a lot for any help,
ZK

Advertisement

z_zk_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I don't think anchors are used where I live, but we do not get hurricanes and tornadoes either. If your area is prone to those I'd strongly suggest it otherwise you may be ok.

Though if you want to play it safe, I would at least anchor the posts that are at the perimeter.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

Yes, depending upon the deck a strong wind could lift it up

I also would not put the post in ground
What type of wood ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

I am unclear why you want to float the piers over the concrete. By using Simpson post anchors or equivalent, you can adjust the posts up and down, although typically not laterally. With fixed post attachments, you generally adjust the vertical position of the posts using shims.

I am not sure what code requires, but it is always a good idea to anchor the posts to the foundation in order to prevent movement of the deck due to wind, earthquake, or vehicle impact. This can be done with J bolts or post anchors. If you are concerned about not lining the posts up correctly with the deck joists, put the posts in first, then attach the joists later.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote