Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ryobi battery

my lithium 18v batteries are showing defective per charger lights flashing green , red. these batteries are only 6 months old and have only been charged 4 or 5 times. Is this a usual problem or am I just an unfortunate recipient of a bad product? any helpful hints appreciated!

wileyjack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,548

ryobi battery

idk. i have the NiCad batteries in mine. works well enough for me.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

ryobi battery

I've been using Ryobi tools for over 5 years and have never had an issue with them.

At one time I had at least 8 batterys, (because I had three jobs going at once) When I buy them I mark the day I buy them and my company name on them with a sharpe just to see how long they lasted. In 5 years I've only had 2 go bad from 5 day a week use.
Some reasons I've seen them not charge is dirty contacts. Clean them off with a pencil eraser. Sand paper will take the plating off the contact.
Trying to charge a hot battery. If you set the charger in the sun, try to charge a battery that's still hot from being used, charging one that been sitting in the sun.
The chargers stop working when they hit a certain temperature so it does not over charge.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

ryobi battery

we had a problem with some ryobi batteries that wouldn't charge completely once. we put them in the flashlight and left it on all night to completely discharge them then put them in the charger the next day and they took a full charge.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

ryobi battery

I have owned and used both NiCad and Li-Ion batteries since 2004.

Besides NiCad batteries poor performance when compared to Li-Ion batteries, the (black) chargers that came with NiCad batteries seem to be more fickle, especially on hot days.

My Li-Ion battery chargers (green) do not seem to have the same problems. Matter of fact, my green charger seems to be better at at charging NiCad batteries than the black chargers.

If your batteries are less than 6 months old, call Ryobi's customer service and they will exchange it, provided that you can produce a purchase receipt.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

ryobi battery

They will do that, if it is hot where you are trying to charge them, and the batteries have not cooled down. During the Summer, I just recharge mine inside, but let them cool off for about a half hour or so, before charging.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,486

ryobi battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
They will do that, if it is hot where you are trying to charge them, and the batteries have not cooled down. During the Summer, I just recharge mine inside, but let them cool off for about a half hour or so, before charging.
Same here....in fact, I have had to put the battery on the concrete floor to cool it off.

Just so you know, the chargers have a thermostatic switch in the neck to sense when the battery gets hot...this is the typical indication that it is fully charged. If you have been using the battery in a heavy application...like the sawzall or circular saw, the battery can be hot and will need to cool down before you charge it.

Also...don't leave batteries on the charger for extended periods of time...that will reduce the life.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote