Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Share |

rust on wood columns

We live in horrible WI winter climate and the rust is showing up again on our front porch wooden columns. What would be the best way to resolve this and make this area look much better?

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

rust on wood columns

Find out where the iron is above that is rusting.

Photos do wonders to get answers.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

rust on wood columns

Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

rust on wood columns

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Find out where the iron is above that is rusting.

Photos do wonders to get answers.

Dick
OK I just posted a pic earlier.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Roofmaster

rust on wood columns

Somebody nipped off staples that were in the wood instead of pulling them out. They are rusting now, and bleeding through. Could also be cheap, uncoated finishing nails from a pneumatic nailer. That post should also sit up off the concrete on a cast metal chair. The wood will rot pretty fast as it takes up moisture from the slab.

Last edited by jagans; 03-29-2013 at 07:00 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

rust on wood columns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Somebody nipped off staples that were in the wood instead of pulling them out. They are rusting now, and bleeding through. Could also be cheap, uncoated finishing nails from a pneumatic nailer. That post should also sit up off the concrete on a cast metal chair. The wood will rot pretty fast as it takes up moisture from the slab.
Thanks. What's my next steps to fix it?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

rust on wood columns

Quote:
The weird part is only one of the two columns looks like this.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Roofmaster

rust on wood columns

Remove the four pieces on the bottom, and see if there is a metal chair under the main post which should be underneath. I would simply replace the pine on the bottom with pre-primed 1 x 10 dimensional white pine, with the corners mitered at 45 degrees. Hold pine 1/4 inch up from porch deck. Pre drill pine and attach with hot dipped galvanized finishing nails and fill with glazing compound. Then install post molding on top of the pine, all around, also mitered. Prime all, then paint with high quality exterior white paint. Do all posts.

If the chair is not there, I would install one under each post. Let us know if they are not there.

Last edited by jagans; 03-29-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #9

rust on wood columns

Quote:
Remove the four pieces on the bottom, and see if there is a metal chair under the main post which should be underneath. I would simply replace the pine on the bottom with pre-primed 1 x 10 dimensional white pine, with the corners mitered at 45 degrees. Hold pine 1/4 inch up from porch deck. Pre drill pine and attach with hot dipped galvanized finishing nails and fill with glazing compound. Then install post molding on top of the pine, all around, also mitered. Prime all, then paint with high quality exterior white paint. Do all posts.

If the chair is not there, I would install one under each post. Let us know if they are not there.
I would have to hire a handyman because of some disabilities that I have. I just thought that there would be an easier fix.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #10

rust on wood columns

I'd use vinyl lumber instead of pine. It's avalible in a wood grain look.
Use hot dipped finish nails, set them, and caulk over the holes.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

rust on wood columns

DO NOT USE VINYL. It is the quintessential tacky solution for things. No matter what you do with vinyl, it looks like what it is. Since it is painted you could go with another synthetic material I guess.

Your problem is with the metal of the fastener used and not the trim material.

You might try a rust inhibiting or even a rust converting primer over the top of the rust stains. Not sure what you would accomplish though unless you could get the product on the rusting fasteners.

You may just be up for a regular maintenance chore I fear no matter what you try. I would also try a quart of the Zinsser stain block primer product. Whatever you use, you must remove what rust you can first.

Please do not ignore the advice about fixing what is allowing moisture to "wick" up to the fasteners. Water is getting to them somehow.

Last edited by user1007; 03-30-2013 at 09:03 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

rust on wood columns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
DO NOT USE VINYL. It is the quintessential tacky solution for things. No matter what you do with vinyl, it looks like what it is. Since it is painted you could go with another synthetic material I guess.

Your problem is with the metal of the fastener used and not the trim material.

You might try a rust inhibiting or even a rust converting primer over the top of the rust stains. Not sure what you would accomplish though unless you could get the product on the rusting fasteners.

You may just be up for a regular maintenance chore I fear no matter what you try. I would also try a quart of the Zinsser stain block primer product. Whatever you use, you must remove what rust you can first.

Please do not ignore the advice about fixing what is allowing moisture to "wick" up to the fasteners. Water is getting to them somehow.
What about caulking on the bottom so water doesn't get in?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

rust on wood columns

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
What about caulking on the bottom so water doesn't get in?
Maybe but if there is movement at all, the caulk seal will break and water will still find a way to torment you.

I try to drink some every day. I have sailed and even skiied on it in younger years. I was a swim instructor and remain a swimmer.

But water has an evil side. It is surprisingly heavy. It is one liquid that will immediately find the lowest point near unless restricted. And compared to other liquids it does not evaporate as fast as one would like in the case of your porch posts.

You should source the water and why it is hurting only two posts. I bet I am right but if you have a marble or round ball bearing (I carry many for walkthroughs of antique places to test gravity. Real estate agents that do not know me despise me!) you will soon find why and where water is pooling and rusting fasteners in only two posts? My guess is the round objects you let loose will find the problem. They are shiny and round but work almost like water let loose.

All this said? The suggestion to raise the posts, if you can without major budget hit and place some plate or flashing under the posts could save you lots in the long run.

The rust may be sending you a sign of what to come. If there is enough moisture to oxidize the fasteners there is definitely enough to wick up and rot the wood.

Is your porch level at all by the way? Accross the bottom of all your porch posts? Back to front, side to side. It concerns me that you only see rust from fasteners on two posts. Are they in sequence to each other, by the way? Something must be allowing water to pool near them?

Last edited by user1007; 03-30-2013 at 10:21 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Roofmaster

rust on wood columns

1. Go ahead and hire the handyman.

2. Caulk (sealant) will make the problem worse by "sealing in" Moisture.

3. You could try punching in the rust spots with a nail set it you can see the end of the staples, filling with Dap hitting it with kilz, then painting over, but that will not address the core issue, and you will be back to what I said originally.

4. The reason you see it on this posts is I guess they used all the cut offs on that last post, or maybe that posts gets more wind blown rain. End post?

Where are you located?

Last edited by jagans; 03-30-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #15

rust on wood columns

Quote:
1. Go ahead and hire the handyman.

2. Caulk (sealant) will make the problem worse by "sealing in" Moisture.

3. You could try punching in the rust spots with a nail set it you can see the end of the staples, filling with Dap hitting it with kilz, then painting over, but that will not address the core issue, and you will be back to what I said originally.

4. The reason you see it on this posts is I guess they used all the cut offs on that last post, or maybe that posts gets more wind blown rain. End post?

Where are you located?
Wisconsin.