Rust Stain From Chimney On Roof - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rust Stain from chimney on roof

i asked what i could use to remove the rust stain that is coming from my steel chimney and dripping down the roof shingles and making a rust stained area. people said to use Oxalic Acid product ( look for wood bleach ) or Zud is this okay to use on the stain on the chimney and the drip down the roof shingles and then the run off to the grass when rinsing. Thank you for your input. I like my new house 3yrs and want to keep it looking good.

Advertisement

beverley 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

Or better yet find out what's rusting and replace it with a material that does not rust.
Most likly it's old chimmney flashing that should have been replaced long ok if it's so bad it's rusting.
If it's rusting, holes in it and leaks will not be far behind.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
beverley 1 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #3

The house is only 4 years old should i be having this big a problem worrying about holes and leaks, Could it be 2 types of metals 1 from the chimney and the other the flashing coming together to cause the rust problem.I read that in another reply. But in any case I will probably get a contractor to look at it before i do anything my self. Thank You for the input.
beverley 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
RockfordChimney

Beverley,
When you mention chimney, do you have a Brick chimney, a metal pipe. or a Chase (wood built structure that has a pipe inside of it to vent). Most Chases have a galvanized top (builders use them because they are less expensive). These galvanized tops are flat and will sag slightly and collect water and snow. When that happens they begin to rust and will leak after awhile. If this is what you have you may want to replace it with a Stainless steel chase cover. If it is just a pipe exiting the roof it could be the pipe itself or the flashing. Brick chimneys don't have much that can rust except a galvanized cap, the flashing is usually aluminum.
Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote