Running Piping Through A Brick Facade - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

Running Piping Through a Brick Facade

If you had to route PVC piping outside of a house and your exterior was all brick (facade) with wood sheathing as the backing, would you go through the trouble of finding a masonry hole saw and cutting the nice hole, or would you just use masonry drill bits to drill a line of holes and then just chisel the piece out? I may have to run a 1.5" PVC pipe outside.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Use the right tool for the job. Look at it this way...It is an excuse to buy a new tool.

I'd spring for the holesaw.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I've had luck drilling a bunch of holes and cleaning up the hole with a hammer. Then caulking around the pipe to cover up any ragged edges. Sure you could buy a holesaw but I'd rather buy a tool I'll use more than once. My 2 cents.

Stan.
smcmurrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Underground Techie

Rewards Points: 75

I would get a drycore bit. Drilling a bunch of holes right next to each other is a nightmare. It keeps on wanting to go back into the other hole.You could probably even rent a drycore bit and chuck it in your own hammerdrill if you have one and have it done in less than a minute.
sevver is offline   Reply With Quote