Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #1

Share |

"rubberized" waterproofing/insulation?

My contractor has mentioned some sort of spray-on rubberized material that a crew comes out and sprays it on the outside foundation walls (the whole wall).

I'm already having the walls replaced, do think I should go ahead and do this? We haven't discussed any of it in detail yet, but it's supposed to be guarenteed water proof for like 20 years? It also serves as insulation?

Other than that, what sort of insualtion solutions do you recomend for the foundation walls? I want to do it right while I got it dug up but I'm on a tight budget as is. Thanks.

elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementx440 View Post
My contractor has mentioned some sort of spray-on rubberized material that a crew comes out and sprays it on the outside foundation walls (the whole wall).

I'm already having the walls replaced, do think I should go ahead and do this? We haven't discussed any of it in detail yet, but it's supposed to be guarenteed water proof for like 20 years? It also serves as insulation?

Other than that, what sort of insualtion solutions do you recomend for the foundation walls? I want to do it right while I got it dug up but I'm on a tight budget as is. Thanks.
I know of rubberized asphalt spray for waterproofing of foundations, but I have not run across one that is has insulation ratings of any kind (?). Do you have any more information on the material or system that your Contractor says that he plans on using?

Aside from that, the most common means of insulation foundation exteriors is the use of rigid foam board.

Here is a link:

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/i...warm-n-dri.asp

Here is another one from a manufacturer:

http://www.plymouthfoam.com/building...gvb_gfvb.shtml

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Even if it is guaranteed (and really works) to waterproof, you can still get water in the basement. Water can go around/under and enter at the joint between the floor and wall if you do not have drain tile (especially interior tile).
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

The membrane is for waterproofing. I have also seen it where an insulation board is pressed into the coating while still wet. I'm not sure of the value of doing the insulation step. The waterproofing with an exterior perimeter drain, going to daylight if possible, is a good idea.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #5

well the permiter drain is getting replaced along with the walls, I was just wondering if it was worth it to spend the extra money, or should I assume new walls and drain will make it as dry as it's gonna be regardless?

How big-a-deal is it to insulate the basement walls on the outside? Temperatures here are 20/30 winter, 70/80 summer.
elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

It is always a good practice to coat an exterior basement wall with some type of "waterproofer". Many people also parge the exterior of block walls. - It is cheap insurance that you only do once.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementx440 View Post
well the permiter drain is getting replaced along with the walls, I was just wondering if it was worth it to spend the extra money, or should I assume new walls and drain will make it as dry as it's gonna be regardless?
Its money well spent. Concrete and concrete block are not water proof.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote