Rubberized Membrane Along Outside Of Sillplate On 8 Foot Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Rubberized membrane along outside of sillplate on 8 foot basement

Hi,

My house has vinyl siding, tyvek building wrap and an 8-foot basement. I have a leak between the concteate basement and outside 2x10 floor joist. This happened during the spring thaw while there was still snow. I want to stop it so I can develope my basement. Where the leak occured the top of the concreate wall is about 8 inches up from ground level. Snow was about 2-feet and melting at the time.

It was suggested on another forum that I insert a rubberized membrane (water and ice shield used in roofing) along the whole bottom course inside the Tyvek house wrap.

Does anyone here agree or disagree with this solution? Will it cause other problems?

Advertisement

deepstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

yes I have done this also , when we build on the beach's, or bays. with the wind driven rain it does help. you problem most likely is the melting snow is wicking in under you sill plate. I would remove the first coarse of siding and stater strip, lift up the tyvec and caulk around the sill flashing and the foundation with rubberized caulk, not silicone. or you can get some expanding foam in a spray can from your locale building supply store (make sure it is none pour-is ) and inject it under the sill all the way around the foundation of the trouble area. once it expands abit flush it up with and old sawzall blade. make sure the ice & water covers the termite shield. BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #3

My house doesn't have sill flashing? Only a gasket.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #4

then you can still take the same approach, that gasket is what we call sill seal. Caulk and install the Ice shield. the only purpose for the Ice Shield is to keep the snow when melting from coming through where the nails are. your only protection along the foundation would be the caulking, when the snow lays against the house the foundation still could wick any moisture in from under the caulk which could compromise the adhesion of the caulk. unless you treat the foundation along this area with some thompson's water seal or something similar. BOB
Old 08-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #5

Sounds like a plan to me...heck I just found out yesterday that people use rubberized IceShield membranes for inside showers behind the cbu! Frankly never occurred to me but hey, not a bad idea...

...'Think it was a guy from California, where I understand they have different ways of making waterproof showers than we do. Seemed knowledgeable, so guess it works!
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #6

I use it for built in shower seats. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #7

At the time I noticed the leak, wind was blowing on the side of the house and bubbles could be seen from inside the basement. This was during the spring thaw with snow about 2-feet up the side of the house.

Thanks for your help and advice!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #8

I removed the siding and noticed that nothing was holding the bottom edge of the tyvek down. Shouldn't it be under the starter strip?

Why rubberized caulk, not silicone?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #9

The starter should be over the house wrap. If you are in a snow zone ,i am wondering why you did not mention any type of insulation on the exterior? I have seen the silicone pull away from concrete. I could grasp one end of it and pull a piece 2' long from where it was applied to wood and cement. I would have to think it has to do with the cement getting wet and there for releasing its hold. I could be wrong but did see this happen to many times. BOB
Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #10

So rubberized chaulking will stick to the concreate better?

There's no insulation on the outside. My house is 8-years old. They have only started using it around here in the last few years and even then only on a few houses. If I ever change the siding on my house I plan to add insulation as well.

Since wind is getting under the tyvek and blowing water bubbles through the Sill plate - rim joist seem I assume water must also be wicking or blowing up to the joint during the spring thaw? Is it reasonable to believe that this is the source of my leak and that it doesn't come from above.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #11

The ice shield I purchased says to prime the concrete. What should I use for this?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #12

Deepstuff post a picture and I'll be able to get a better picture of your problem, and I'll walk you through the repair. BOB
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #13

From the inside:

OUtside:

Old 08-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstuff View Post
From the inside:

OUtside:

first problem I see is that the sill plate is not 8" above grade. CODE. next remove the siding at a height of 3'. Then measure down from the bottom of the siding that's still on the house to the top of your stater strip, write this measurement down you will need it later. now mark along the bottom of your starter on to the foundation, this is going to be your reference mark. now remove the starter. fold up your tyvek and tape it up out of the way, coat the foundation with some thompson's water seal, this will make your ice and water stick better to the foundation. once dry. measure the width of the ice and water 36" or 39" which ever it is. now measure up from your line on the foundation that you made at the bottom of your starter strip, and make a pencil mark. do this at each end of the area of repair. now snap a caulk line across these lines. Now roll out your ice and water and cut to length. tack the top of the shield to the top of the line you snapped on your house wall. keeping it on the line. your ice shield should be hanging from the wall with staples or some nails , I like staples because you will be pulling the ice shield away from the staples later. keep the staples no lower then 2" from the top. now pull the backing off from the ice shield bottom section only, leave the top in place for now, once the bottom is removed start from the middle and smooth the ice shield out over the wall being careful not to leave any bubbles. once the bottom is attached to the wall pull the top of the ice shield away from the wall pulling the staples through ice shield. remove the upper portion of the backing and smooth the top out over the wall. secure the ice shield with a few staples. now install some tyvek along the bottom and up over the ice shield only if the original tyvek was short to begin with. pull your existing tyvek down and staple it to the wall' now take that measurement that you wrote down earlier and mark it on the ice and water at each end and snap a caulk line on this, this is where your stater was before. install starter and siding.
you should be fine. Good Luck BOB
Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #15

Thanks everyone for your help.

Advertisement