Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

roxul insulation

Does anybody have any experience using the Roxul Comfort batts or Safe n sound insulation?

I was wondering what the cost was as well.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by ctkeebler; 12-05-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling error
ctkeebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #2

roxul insulation

Maybe this type of insulation is not that popular?.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

roxul insulation

The last I knew, it's not available in the U.S., except for commercial applications. I'd love to get some, but plan on going to Windsor to buy it. Are you in the U.S. or Canada?

I haven't been able to get a price on it yet. If you call a Home Depot in Canada, they could tell you. If you ask someone at Home Depot here in the U.S., they'll just look at you kinda funny and say, "huh?". lol That was my experience. They wouldn't even special order it for me.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

roxul insulation

I've not used it but I hope to in my basement remodel .
I found out about it on this forum and the price is a bit higher than glass from what I remember.
Here's a link to there site and you can search for distributors from there.
There are US distributors, looks pretty spread out though.

http://www.roxul.com/residential/where+to+buy+roxul
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #5

roxul insulation

Woo hoo!! Thanks for the link High Gear. I typed in my address and it shows that a lumber company about 20+ miles away sells it. I'm going to call them tomorrow or Monday. I'll let you know if they sell it for residential use. It looks like they do.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #6

roxul insulation

I called the lumber company in my area listed on the Roxul website.

They do sell it for residential use now.

I asked about the Safe & Sound Roxul. It is sold in a bag of twelve 4' batts (59.7 sq. ft.). It's $40.92 per bag.

There are some advantages to this stuff over fiberglass. It will not burn or let fire pass through it. Cocobolo, a member here on the forum, said he put a piece of it in his wood burning stove and closed the door. When he took it out, it was still the same as it was when he put it in the stove. He wrote that information in another thread where we were talking about insulation. I believe it was last winter if you want to look for it.

The other cool thing about Roxul is that you don't have to wear a mask or gloves when you're using it. It doesn't get into the air and cause itching or any other problems like the pink stuff. And, it helps with soundproofing a room.

Oh, and it doesn't lose its R-value when the outside temperature drops real low either. Fiberglass does.

There must be some drawbacks to it, but I haven't heard of any. Maybe someone else can give some information about it?

Last edited by gma2rjc; 12-07-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #7

roxul insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
I called the lumber company in my area listed on the Roxul website.

They do sell it for residential use now.

I asked about the Safe & Sound Roxul. It is sold in a bag of twelve 4' batts (59.7 sq. ft.). It's $40.92 per bag.

There are some advantages to this stuff over fiberglass. It will not burn or let fire pass through it. Cocobolo, a member here on the forum, said he put a piece of it in his wood burning stove and closed the door. When he took it out, it was still the same as it was when he put it in the stove. He wrote that information in another thread where we were talking about insulation. I believe it was last winter if you want to look for it.

The other cool thing about Roxul is that you don't have to wear a mask or gloves when you're using it. It doesn't get into the air and cause itching or any other problems like the pink stuff. And, it helps with soundproofing a room.

Oh, and it doesn't lose its R-value when the outside temperature drops real low either. Fiberglass does.

There must be some drawbacks to it, but I haven't heard of any. Maybe someone else can give some information about it?
Thanks for the information GM, do you know how long the batts are? Do they come like traditional fiberglass lengths?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #8

roxul insulation

The guy at the lumber store said they are 4' lengths. With 12 in a bag.

He also mentioned another kind of Roxul, but I didn't get any of the details for it.

If I remember, I'll call back tomorrow to ask for details on the other kind.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #9

roxul insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
The guy at the lumber store said they are 4' lengths. With 12 in a bag.

He also mentioned another kind of Roxul, but I didn't get any of the details for it.

If I remember, I'll call back tomorrow to ask for details on the other kind.

I think they make a insulation product and then a safe n sound which is for fire protection and sound barrier. I don't know if the safe n sound has any r value, I guess it would have some type of R value, but might not be marketed as an insulating product as opposed to fire and sound.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #10

roxul insulation

You're right. I'm glad you said that. All this time I thought it had a good R-value also. But here's some information they have on their website.

Roxul Safe'n'Sound is designed specifically for one purpose – soundproofing. It is not intended for thermal applications like insulating exterior walls or attics. Why? The higher density that makes it an excellent sound barrier actually compromises its ability to prevent heat loss. So if you're objective is energy savings, choose Roxul ComfortBatt®. For a quiet home, Roxul Safe'n'Sound is the right choice
Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
Soundproofing Guy

roxul insulation

If sound isolation is part of the goal, the standard thermal batts work the same as those labeled "acoustic." The labeling of insulation as "acoustic" is to broaden the areas where insulation is considered. Such as between two heated rooms. THere is no performance difference between "acoustic" and standard thermal insulation.

Dollar for dollar, standard batt fiberglass can't be beat.

Last edited by Ted White; 12-30-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo
Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote