Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Beer Advocate

Share |

Rough in / stud wall location help?

My basement has a rough in for a 3/4 bathroom. I am getting ready to put up the framing for around this area. My question is, how far do I set the walls away from the shower drain pipe? I'm guessing there has to be some standard for this, or atleast a common size needed for most shower inserts?

Thank you
Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #2

If you're using a shower insert, you need to check the manufacturer's specs. Nothing is standard, and the wall and drain locations must exactly match the insert's dimensions.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

shower inserts come in different sizes and have the drains in different locations like center drain top drain or offset so it all depends on which inset you chose for the space you have,or weather you are building your own shower from scratch but as far as I know their is no standard for where the walls can be set until you know what your putting in
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #4

Buy your shower or tub and follow the rough in guide.
jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Beer Advocate

Ok, thanks guys!
Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Mechanical Engineer

Some manufactures have the rough in guides online. No need to buy the insert right away then.
comp1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #7

Or plan on make your own tile shower and forget dealing with a mfg'd shower pan. Lot's of flexibility.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
Or plan on make your own tile shower and forget dealing with a mfg'd shower pan. Lot's of flexibility.
But a lot more work, especially for a DIYer! I'm neck deep in my own custom shower nightmare right now. I'd be done remodeling the bath if I had used an insert...Instead my evenings and weekends have been spent building pre-pans, bases, seats, curbs, membranes, and lots of endless tile work. It looks a lot nicer, but causes more work for sure!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #9

kctermite I got two downstairs and one up and only got one done or almost done I should say.It is alot of work but to tell the truth I just don't like the prefab look alikes and wanted something with my own touch on it but I do think for the one up stairs I might just get one of those steam shower set ups and build around it.I just cant see lugging all that tile and concrete up the stairs I'm getting old
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #10

@thekctermite Won't argue that it's more work, and I guess that's one of the reasons I like it. When you get done, you'll have a beautiful shower, almost a work or art when it's done. Have you used the kerdi product? It's beautiful to use, and really takes the pain out of the curb/seat/niche/pan building. Highly recommended in my opinion. Expensive yes...but it also delivers a comforting peace of mind.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
@thekctermite Won't argue that it's more work, and I guess that's one of the reasons I like it. When you get done, you'll have a beautiful shower, almost a work or art when it's done. Have you used the kerdi product? It's beautiful to use, and really takes the pain out of the curb/seat/niche/pan building. Highly recommended in my opinion. Expensive yes...but it also delivers a comforting peace of mind.
Didn't use Kerdi. I did a vinyl-rubber membrane under a mud pan on a preslope mud pan, and integrated drain. Wasn't too tough, but a little scary. I waterproofed the wonderboard on the walls with ProGuardHDG, which is a similar product to RedGard.

Agreed, tiled showers are nice looking. Mine's going to be awesome when it is done......Someday.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
....Mine's going to be awesome when it is done......Someday.

Aw...c'mon...like you're the ONLY one that's ever said "that" before!

Give the kerdi a shot some time...it's a great product.