DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rough in Framing for used fireplace

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  vsheetz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I need some help as we are building a cabin. We have a used a used fireplace that is going into the cabin. Our framer would like to know that rough in dimensions to frame in the chase. The size of the fireplace is 39.5" wide, 37" high and 26" deep. What would the rough in framing dimensions be? attached is a picture below.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought a used three sided fireplace and installed it in our home remodel project. I obtained the documentation for the fireplace via online (google is soooo great). There you will find full information on cleaerances, installation, framing, connection, piping, etc.

It was also helpful when it came time for framing inspection. The inspector did not know off-hand how the three sided fireplace was to be installed so I pulled out the documentation and showed him I framed it in per instructions - inspection done.

#3 ·
1" bigger on width, 3" higher, but check and read the manufacturer's clearances. See if bottom air inlet grate hinges down for a label. Double wall pipe or whatever your County requires for your minimum safety. Possibly a Heatilator?
Be safe, Gary

#4 ·
Be sure you have availability of the correct flue pipes and connections, as they are sometimes no longer available for some fireplaces rendering the fireplace useless. I was going to resell one I pulled out, but it was worth nothing because of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.