Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,012

Rough Fascia needed?

I'm working on the roof for a small addition. This roof will tie into the existing roof with a 16" overhang on both. Both new and existing are hip roofs. The old roof has the fascia directly attached to the rafter tails. The fascia is in good shape so I won't be replacing this on the old roof.
My plan is to match the construction of the existing roof. Before I cut the rafter tails to length. Is there any reason why I should add a rough fascia to the new roof or is it OK to attach the fascia to the tails?
TIA

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 08-10-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Cleaned up grammer
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rough Fascia needed?

Around here most fascia also serves as the subfascia. Personally, I'd install a subfascia or blocking between the rafter tails. Not completely necessary though.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rough Fascia needed?

Your choice. "My plan is to match the construction of the existing roof." The only place I would use it is at the gable over-hangs, to hold up the barge rafter (fly rafter) if the fascia board was not sufficient enough. Then, side nailed from the second rafter back- into it, and through it-into the gable tail. Cutting the gable tail 1-1/2" shorter first. Or if you have closed soffits and need it as a nailer. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote