Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

rough estimate tool for finishing a room?

I've got a 32x13 foot basement area I want to finish. There will be no bathroom, water, or anything like that. Basically, it's just a room to be finished. The ceiling will be drywall at 8 feet.

I know there are tons of variables like lighting, electrical, flooring and HVAC.

But I'm simply trying to get a really general idea of what this might cost to DIY.

I mean, I figure there must be a general estimator of roughly how many 2x4s I'll need and how much drywall.

So generally, I'm not looking to hear that it will cost $4,326.14. I'm looking to hear whether I'll be in a $1000-$3000 range, or in a $8000-$11000 range, etc.

Thanks!

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I could buy/do the framing and drywall for the lowest range easy... Probably close to 1,000 or less...

But like you said though, what else?

DM

Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

This is part of the DIY philosophy. You sit down with a tape measure and a pad and you figure it out. You can't do the job without having a list of materials to take to the store, can you?
If a wall if 30 feet long, you'll need 7 1/2 sheets of drywall to cover it. You have 2 walls that length, so you'll need 15 sheets. Now do the other 2 walls. The ceiling is say, 300. sq feet. A piece of sheetrock is 32 sq ft. Ten sheets is 320 sq ft. Add a few for waste. If you're a little short, buy some more at the end.
Figure 1 wall stud for every liner foot of the room's perimeter. Add to that 2x the perimeter for the top and bottom plates. Bottom plate will be pressure treated.
Check the ceiling for level. If it's not, you might need to add strapping to shim it so.
Decide on the lighting, electric etc.. and go to the store and see what the cost of the components are. Add it up and that's what it costs. Add 5% for contigencies.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Thanks all - yeah, this gets me going in the right direction. I got a quote for a guy to do everything (minus any flooring) for $9500.

I wouldn't do the whole project myself - I figure I'd do studs, drywall, insulation - then hire tapers, HVAC, electrical. Then I'd do finish trim and painting. Then get a tile or carpet guy for the floor.

My rough estimates based on what you've said seem to put me in the $4-$7K range.

Since I have most of the skills to knock out some major elements, it seems like a no-brainer. Now, just to find the time...
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
Now, to just find the time...
If you find it, could you let ME know where it was?
I have way too many projects to finish...

DM
Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, I'm actually interested in understanding the cost of renovating the basement. It would be great to have an estimating tool to get a better idea of what $ makes sense or not.

My house is less than 800 sqft. I have a basement of not more 375 sq ft. THe other half is a crawling space. I asked for an estimate that came back to $34,500. Here is what I want to do. Two questions: a) is there an estimating tool, b) does this cost sound a lot or standard?

Move laundry from one end of basement to beside the furnace area. Add a 2 piece bathroom beside the laundry - enclosing furnace/laundry and w/r beside that. The rest of the basement would be a big bedroom.

The house is about 60 yrs old, and the ceiling is quite low - about 7 ft. I want to insulate the whole basement including the crawling space (air and water insulation), put sound barrier and ceiling. Potentially I need to move furnace ducts above the beams. Bedroom floow will be laminated and rest vynil.

Upstairs I have an 8x7 ft kitchen and same size washroom. I want to put porcelane floors.

I can do laminated floors - I've done that before, do the demolition of my basement and remove the existing vynil floors.

Your thoughts? Can I do the foam spray insulation myself? Is the quote above too much?

Thanks for your input.

NeriN.
NeriN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Does the estimate include an egress window for the bedroom?
What you list is insignificant to tell you if the estimate is "appropriate".
No lighting or electrical, no heating, etc, etc, etc,.
List all the particulars, including you're location.
Call other contractors and get estimates from them. But before you do, make a detailed list of what you want and give it to all contractors.
Ron
Old 03-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm just finishing up doing a room 10X16. Studded walls on four sides, a closet and entrance door way. A drywall ceiling!
My house is 63 years old so i had to update the wiring before I closed in the ceiling.
My costs, excluding paint and a new window works out to about $14/s.f.
This is for material only. I didn't hire any contractors, although I did hire the guy down the street to help drywall the ceiling. He cost me $100.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

Over the years I did a few renos - once I used Home Depot, then I went with handymen, overall I would say I didn't have a good experience....good work but too expensive and/or bad work and expensive, lol - a lose lose situation. I live north of Toronto, Canada - Aurora.

This time around I went with someone who is highly recommended. I do not want to call any other contractor from the yellow pages. The house electrical has been changed about 7 yrs ago. The basement windows are newer (there are 3 of them). As it stands right now, the basement is warm - I can go barefoot - there is plywood and carpet on the floor. The electrical panel is where the laundry area is right now. There are 3 light fixtures in the basement. However, when finished, those fixtures would have to be relocated as needed. As far as I can humbly understand, the work that would need professional help and could be very costly is the moving of drains to relocate laundry room and add washroom.

Here are some of the elements of the quote:

stud basement walls with 2x4 at 16/
Frame 2pc washroom and laundry room
Dry pack floor to level concrete
New wiring throughout basement where accessible
Install r-12 batt insulation from floor to ceiling around perimeter
Install sound insulation and channel on ceiling
Install vapor barrier
Install ’’ drywall on walls and ceiling
Install vent covers to access stack cleanouts
Spray foam crawl space exterior walls
Window casing and baseboard
Install vinyl flooring
Install toilet and sink
Open concrete floor and relocate drains

Thanks N.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeriN. View Post
Over the years I did a few renos - once I used Home Depot, then I went with handymen, overall I would say I didn't have a good experience....good work but too expensive and/or bad work and expensive, lol - a lose lose situation. I live north of Toronto, Canada - Aurora.

This time around I went with someone who is highly recommended. I do not want to call any other contractor from the yellow pages. The house electrical has been changed about 7 yrs ago. The basement windows are newer (there are 3 of them). As it stands right now, the basement is warm - I can go barefoot - there is plywood and carpet on the floor. The electrical panel is where the laundry area is right now. There are 3 light fixtures in the basement. However, when finished, those fixtures would have to be relocated as needed. As far as I can humbly understand, the work that would need professional help and could be very costly is the moving of drains to relocate laundry room and add washroom.

Here are some of the elements of the quote:

stud basement walls with 2x4 at 16/
Frame 2pc washroom and laundry room
Dry pack floor to level concrete
New wiring throughout basement where accessible
Install r-12 batt insulation from floor to ceiling around perimeter
Install sound insulation and channel on ceiling
Install vapor barrier
Install drywall on walls and ceiling
Install vent covers to access stack cleanouts
Spray foam crawl space exterior walls
Window casing and baseboard
Install vinyl flooring
Install toilet and sink
Open concrete floor and relocate drains

Thanks N.
Is this a walk out basement? If not, you'll need an egress window unless codes are different in Canada?
What is, "Dry pack floor to level concrete."?
Ron
Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Is this a walk out basement? If not, you'll need an egress window unless codes are different in Canada?
What is, "Dry pack floor to level concrete."?
Ron
In Ontario Canada, the egress requirement is 3.8 s.f.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #12

Yes, the contractor had that in the quote, I didn't add it because I had a window , after checking on what egress window was, I realize that I might have to enlarge such window to make it to code.

The dry pack floor is a thin white cement covering some use to level the floor. However, in my mind, it is more expensive because it is labour intensive and seems to be used if you lay tiles/marble or other delicate flooring.

As I mentioned to the contractor, I don't need top of the line, nor do I want to go cheap, cheap - middle is ok. However I think 34500 is way too much for such small space.

I'll keep searching this forum. There seems to be a lot of knowledge and good advise.

Thanks. N.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, the contractor had that in the quote, I didn't add it because I had a window , after checking on what egress window was, I realize that I might have to enlarge such window to make it to code.

The dry pack floor is a thin white cement covering some use to level the floor. However, in my mind, it is more expensive because it is labour intensive and seems to be used if you lay tiles/marble or other delicate flooring.

As I mentioned to the contractor, I don't need top of the line, nor do I want to go cheap, cheap - middle is ok. However I think 34500 is way too much for such small space.

I'll keep searching this forum. There seems to be a lot of knowledge and good advise.

Thanks. N.
Changing a basement window(32x17) to an egress window in a poured concrete foundation with the ladder well outside runs about $5,000. here on LI.
You can use a leveling compound to deal with a rough floor. A monkey with a stick could do it. Look up Latecrete 86. Costs about $30.00 for a 3 1/2 gal kit.
Ron
Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

Move laundry from one end of basement to beside the furnace area. Add a 2 piece bathroom beside the laundry - enclosing furnace/laundry and w/r beside that.
There's probably where most of the cost is going. You'll need to dig up the basement to do the new waste lines, right? And new supply lines too.

You say the ceiling is "about" 7'. That's something you need to consider. What is the minimum ceiling height were you live? According to this the IRC minimum is 7'-6 for habitable spaces:

http://evstudio.info/minimum-room-si...iling-heights/
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #15

Hi, well the bedroom will be for me and i'm way lower than 6 ft. I think it might be a bit higher in areas other than where the ducks are.
As I read around, it seems cost of renovation is going up. I thought Kitchens can go from 20 to 50 or more, but didn't realize that a small place could cost so much.