Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Share |

Rotting wood where concrete foundation should be

I have a split level house with a two car garage under the main floor. The wall between the garage doors was set right into the concrete. I recently installed gutters on the house but many years of rain has taken its toll. I am wondering what is the best way to fix this. I am thinking that I will have to put a concrete foundation here. The four 2x6s on the right are supporting the center beam. Does anyone have any thoughts on what they would do with this situation? The pictures say a thousand words.

Thanks,

Brian W. Rutland, VT
Attached Thumbnails
Rotting wood where concrete foundation should be-img_2203.jpg   Rotting wood where concrete foundation should be-img_2204.jpg  

Last edited by bdanwallin; 04-15-2012 at 08:29 PM.
bdanwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #2

Holy cr*p! How do builders/contractors do these sort of things and sleep at night?

Seriously, this is nothing for a DIYer to be tackling. The reason is that support column. Screw this up and you're going to have a room come down on you. Find a reputable contractor and discuss options.

What would probably be done, though, is that a temporary support column would be put under that beam to relieve the load. Then all the studs would have their bottom 1.5" cut off. That submerged mudsill would then be taken out. It would be filled with concrete. Then a new PT mudsill would be shoved in between the new concrete (dried) and the studs. All sort of details missing here, but you get the idea.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments! I love pic, looks similar to my pup. I attached a pic of him. I was thinking along the same lines that you mentioned except I thought the concrete would go more than a 1.5" since the wood has been water damaged. Can you tell me how long this might take a contractor and what it might cost in your neck of the woods? It is much appreciated. To answert your first question, the house was built late 70's and this was probabally the norm for these split levels. Th insulation is crap(redoing all of it by the way) but the rest of the house is structurally good.

Thanks, Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Rotting wood where concrete foundation should be-133.jpg  
bdanwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #4

Too funny. Our dogs could be long lost siblings!

You're right. I had focused on the second pic. For sure, filling the gap with concrete flush to the existing slab would be insufficient. It would need to be built up 6" from the driveway.

Regarding cost; sorry. That sort of thing is nearly impossible to estimate on a discussion board. You'll need to get some quotes.

Last edited by cortell; 04-16-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #5

By the looks of the grade of your driveway I wonder if when it got put in the water was just running into the garage and someone added another layer of concrete trying to raise the grade inside the garage.

Not the right way to do it but I've seen it done before.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
By the looks of the grade of your driveway I wonder if when it got put in the water was just running into the garage and someone added another layer of concrete trying to raise the grade inside the garage.

Not the right way to do it but I've seen it done before.
If so, that's scary. How could raising the garage slab be seen as more cost effective then pulling up a strip of driveway directly in front of the garage doors and installing a drain? Not to mention, you end up with mudsills embedded in pavement
Attached Thumbnails
Rotting wood where concrete foundation should be-channel-drain.jpg  

Last edited by cortell; 04-16-2012 at 11:46 AM.