DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rotting rim joist (band)

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  bob22 
#1 ·
How bad is this? The outside of this area is just brick and stucco (I think). House was built in 1979. Is my house at risk of collapsing eventually? What are my options?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
No pressure treated bottom plate, splitting floor joist, no joist hangers ching, ching show me the money.
Only way to pull and replace that plate is from the outside.
Guess they where counting on the weight of the house to keep it on the foundation.
Are those small black specks on the joist dirt or tiny holes?
Small holes means you also have Powder Post Beetles.

#8 ·
this is something to be pointed out and this is in no reflection on the OP. This is why a building permit and inspections are so important. those that built this home are long gone. the OP has no one to go back on. the OP is going to be out a lot of money to fix this. All because some one shaved a few corners off. Doing things like this makes me :furious:! All it does is hurt people wither it be physical, Economically, and emotionally.

#9 ·
There's more issues here than a lack of a treated sill plate. From what i can tell, the brick ledge was never dropped, so the grade was naturally brought up to the bottom of brick, and also the start of the wood. This creates a mirriad of issues when it comes to flashing, etc......

#15 ·
The stucco you're referring to is probably parging on the foundation wall, no?

The rim joist is below the brick? :eek:

Are you sure the first course of bricks and the joists are not both sitting on the same plane? I can't see how the joists could be below the bricks.
If they are both sitting on top of the foundation wall, there should be a flashing coming down the rim joist and bending outwards under the bricks. There should also be weep holes between the bricks on the bottom course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.