Rotting Door Jamb - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,022

Rotting door jamb

My 15-yr old front door jamb is rotting at the base on each side. See photos where I'm using some Tyvek tape to try to slow down mother nature. The door is fine, but to change the jamb out I assume it would be best to go at it from the outside but there is all of this foam trim around the door which I assume I'll wreck trying to get it away from the jamb.
Also, see in the photos where the door threshold is embedded in the concrete of the step. I would have thought that the threshold should be above the concrete?
Any suggestions as to how to do this:
1. without losing all the foam pieces or should I just resign myself to wrecking it and having replacements on hand?
2. Should I try to chip away the concrete so the new threshold is not as level with it?
I hope photos went with this post; my first time.
Thanks in advance.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Rotten door jamb-copy-whl-door.jpg Rotten door jamb-copy-right-side.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited by bob22; 07-06-2008 at 06:58 PM.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Rotting door jamb

I don't know what the foam is you are talking about (Is it in the picture?) but it is probably weather stripping and is replaceable.

Have you determined what caused the rot?

Are you in an area that gets a lot of snow? I am asking because of the height of that last step into the house. I think houses were closer to that in Virginia, but in South Texas that step is much lower.

It does look like the threshold is buried in the concrete/mortar which is odd. It should be sitting on top of the concrete. It makes me wonder what is under the concrete.

You need to have a good slope away on your threshold, and that looks rather flat. I'm wondering if snow is staying up there and melting from heat escaping the door and rotting the door jamb.

Replacing the jamb should be pretty easy, but I think you have other problems to address like the way the threshold is installed.

Advertisement

TexasEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Rotting door jamb

Ed,

The fluted pilasters around the door and the keystone-thing above the door is all some kind of hard poly-something foam. I think the flat board behind the pilasters is the same stuff.

The concrete is almost level with the threshold and you're right, water doesn't quite flow into the threshold but darn close to it.

I live near Philly so we do get snow (I'm always careful to get it away from that area just to prevent the thawed snow from wetting down that area).

I agree with the threshold/concrete levels; I think I need to pull the whole thing out, lower the concrete (fun) so that the new door unit's threshold is above concrete that slopes away from door. Make sense to you?

Thanks,
Bob
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Rotting door jamb

Bob,

That makes sense. If you can cut away the interior jamb without damaging the false pillar part I think you should be able to replace it with a piece of 1x4 ripped to the right size.

Ed
TexasEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Rotting door jamb

I can't tell because of the tyvek tape, but I have repaired many areas like this with bondo.

1. remove all rot...chisel out
2. treat with timbor * will slow down the rot process
3. apply bondo... may need a few coats
4. sand & paint.

will pass any wdo inspection.

less is more.....sometimes
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote