Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

Share |

Rotten wood under tub

Hi all, i am new to this forum.
Me and my wife are buying a condo, when we had it inspected we found a big hole in the basement ceiling beneath the bathroom.
The basement was really dark there so we couldn't see it without a flashlight. There has been a leak from the plumbing earlier. The inspector thinks all we need to do is to reinforce it with a couple of new planks and nothing else is needed.
What do you guys think after seeing this picture? Whould you say it is rotten?
Is there a risk we need to actually lift up the whole tub and go from there?
I would atleast like to get rid of the mold/rot and seal in everything with epoxy and reinforce it.

Thank you in advance for suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotten wood under tub-bathroom-floor-.jpg  
avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rotten wood under tub

It appears that your inspector is proposing is a "band aid" fix, I'd get a new inspector. The proper way to do it would be to replace the subfloor, which would require removing the tub unfortunately. I would insist on the repair being done prior to closing (I assume you have not closed yet) or get your own estimate and have the price deducted from the selling price. This looks like a very costly repair if it's to be done right.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rotten wood under tub

the floor joists look to be ok, so i'd have to agree with the inspector. replace the water damaged/rotted boards.

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 10-24-2008 at 02:58 PM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
the Musigician

Rotten wood under tub

oops, he said reinforce/repair? nonono, move tub and replace water damaged/rotted boards. sorry, i thought i read replace

DM
Old 10-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rotten wood under tub

Whew! You had me worried for a minute there Mouse. Agree the joists "look" solid enough, just be sure whoever does the job is satisfied with their integrity. Don't want the tub in the basement.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rotten wood under tub

sorry, long day playing with my homemade drywall lift! lol
once the rotten floor is up and the tub moved, i'd inspect the joists closely to be sure they did not suffer as well.

DM
Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #7

Rotten wood under tub

Been there, done that. Gotta remove the tub to replace the rotted/water damaged floor sheathing. Depending on the condition of the joists they may need to be replaced or reinforced with additional joists next to the existing.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #8

Rotten wood under tub

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah common sence kinda says the tub needs to go to really to be able to fix this properly. We have to see how to advance from here, wifey and the realtor still thinks this is a great deal but when i gave my bid i was oblivous of this water damage issue.

bjbatlanta Yeah, it definitely sounds like a band aid fix and yeah this could get costly.
I am not thrilled by the idea of moving the tub at all. We haven't closed the deal yet luckily.

I will bring up theese suggestions to my realtor first of all and we'll see where we will go from there.
Thanks again guys!
avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

Rotten wood under tub

If it's a REALLY great deal, it may be worth negotiating a compromise....but get a couple of bids to see where you stand. Best of luck!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #10

Rotten wood under tub

guys, this is not a big deal.
moving the tub is a simple job of unbolting it and pulling it aside.

remove whatever finished floor is under the tub, then just rip up the rotten boards, screw down some good 3/4" plywood, replace finished floor material.

then sister those joists in the basement.

this is a day's work and can be done yourself. definitely not a deal breaker, in my opinion.

i'm almost inclined to agree with the inspector, in fact. you could do something goofy like install a new subfloor from underneath with sistered joists and leave the dang thing where it is.
whatever you do should be deducted from the asking price, sure.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
Drywall contractor

Rotten wood under tub

Kind of hard to just "unbolt" the tub and pull it aside if it's got a tile surround.....
Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rotten wood under tub

I have to agree. it is a big deal. you will have to remove the bottom two rows of tile and the cut the wall board or tile backer board from around the lip of the tub. you will have to disconnect the drain. and try to lift the tub up over the mud , or ceramic tile floor. most likely you will be taking up the floor also, because the rot could of gone under the ceramic flooring its self.
plan on re-doing the bathroom over. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rotten wood under tub

As b-bob has stated, this is, in fact, a big deal repair, because it affects an area of a bathroom that is the most costly to repair. There are many aspects to address (possible tile as stated), as well as the plumbing. Generally, if you are in there, it's good to replace the plumbing valves, in addition to fixing the actual cause of the leak...The overall work is going to take more than a day (possibly as much as a week, for a novice DIYer) to: remove/replace-repair/put back together, and then all the finish work (tile, etc) to complete.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
the Musigician

Rotten wood under tub

you know, that flooring COULD be simply stained by soap scum, etc., and not be rotted at all! all we have to go by is the one pic. the inspector could be correct in his suggestion for a repair. he had eyes and hands on, after all.... just an after thought. my advice to avicenna would be check for himself how rotted the wood is, if at all! in which case, a much simpler/cheaper repair could be done.

DM
Old 10-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
Man of many hats

Rotten wood under tub

Unless that bath upstairs is in really great shape, I'd consider removing the tub and updating the plumbing as well. I'm not really fond of those 2 fernco couplers when doing it right would have been so easy with the access from below. THat's an odd looking p-trap...