Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
dlp

Share |

rotten window frames

I have a wooden window over my bathtub that has some rotten wood. The wood is actually the part that frames the glass itself. We are planning to sell and really cannot afford to replace windows unless absolutely necessary. Is there anything that can be injected or applied that will kill the rot and fill the space so that it can be repainted?

dlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

rotten window frames

You are best to update the windows. The more you can put into the place, the better chance you have for a buyer to purchase the home. Just leaving the windows in place that are old, have problems such as decaying frames and sills, are going to automatically send up big red flags, that there are other problems with the home, and you will never sell the place. Do yourself a favor, and spend the money to get it up to shape, not to leave it looking like a half done flip that the person did not care what appearances look like.

If this home is in the slums, yes leaving the rotting window frames will fit right in. If this home is in a area that the homes are kept up in good shape, and the mechanicals in the homes are maintained, spend the money, because the return from the sale will pay back, for what you invested into it.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #3

rotten window frames

If you are able to remove the sash, take it to any shop/mill and they can make you a new one. You don't need to replace the entire window. Around here, I'd expect it to cost around $65.00 for the complete new sash.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote