Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rotten Threshold or is it the sill???

Hello all,
I would like to place a small 6'X6' 'deck' at the back door. I'm guessing it should be attached to the house, but it may be temporary. Anyway, as you can see by the picture, the wood under the back door is rotting/wearing away. Can you straighten me out as to what are these pieces called?
AND...
How difficult would it be to replace them? To me it looks like the pieces are seperate from what I understand is called the sill.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
Attached Images

wxviewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Well, from the pictures it appears you're problem is the threshold and not the sill. I would investigate further to make sure you have no water damage down into the sill. When you replace the threshold, and I'm sure you will be, be sure to caulk beneath it and around all joints to prevent any water intrusion in the future. Please don't buy cheap caulk, buy a good exterior silicone based caulk. As far as the deck, I try to talk my customers out of attaching any deck to the house directly, this just asks for future water damage. I always like to build any deck, or porch free-standing with at least one-inch clearance from any part of the house for water drainage. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you David for the response. Yeah i agree with you about not attaching it directly to the house. So you feel that the piece of wood under the door is removable and is not part of the sill? Thats what I get from your post.
Thanks again.
Bob
wxviewer is offline   Reply With Quote